Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 can flooding caused by improper installation of flapper
Author: nancytan (TX)

Management office changed the flapper of my unit. After the change, my tenant went to security 2 times advising that sometimes the flapper does not work. 3 weeks after the change, flooding happened in my unit (tenant was out of town for long weekend). Serious damage caused in my unit, the underneath unit and some common area. My tenant received an invoice of $5000 for fixing the problem. My tenant has refused to pay it. If he does not pay it, as the owner, I have to pay it.

I want to fight. And my main problem is to find out what caused the flooding. My tenant said it was because of the improper install of the flapper – it did not close properly. Management office said it was because of the stuck of the bowl and has nothing to do with flapper.

My question is:

1. If the flapper is not installed properly, can it cause flooding?
2. If the bowl is stuck, can it cause flooding?

I am expecting answers, suggestions and ideas. Thank you in advance.

Edited 1 times.

Re: can flooding caused by inproper installation of flapper
Author: bernabeu (SC)

if 1 but not 2 ~ no

if 2 and 1 ~ yes

imo: since the tenant complained about the flapper not 'sealing' and it was not fixed they are not responsible for the resulting flood ~ if they flushed with a 'blocked' bowl and caused an overflow, the water should have STOPPED when the tank refilled ~ with the non-sealing flapper the water simply continued to flow and continued the flood

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

ANY flooding is caused by a continual water flow AND nowhere for the water to go but on to the floor. A bad fill valve could have overflowed the tank, a leaking flapper in combination with a plugged toilet could also do it. If the toilet were not plugged a leaking flapper would not have caused the flood, and if the toilet WAS plugged, it would not have overflowed if the flapper were working properly. Someone's insurance should cover at least part of the damages.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Just wanted to add that if the tenant had done the work and not reported the issues it might fall onto them, but when the building maintenance or professionals hired by the owner performed the work, it is their mess. If the fill valve was leaking, it should have been addressed at the same time, but it is entirely possible that the chain on the flapper was installed or adjusted incorrectly and caused the tank to leak constantly as well. The fill valve may have been fine, and simply been doing its job. I have seen many toilets that had a 'bad' flapper that simply needed an adjustment, or someone installed it incorrectly with the ring and ears.

Author: hj (AZ)

A "leaking flapper" by itself, just wastes water, it does not cause a flood.

Re: can flooding caused by improper installation of flapper
Author: nancytan (TX)

To: hj (AZ)

Thank you very much for your reply.

So is it 100% true ( I really hope so ) that "A leaking flapper by itself, just wastes water, it does not cause a flood." ?

In other words, flooding can NOT be caused by improper installation of flapper?

Thanks again.

Re: can flooding caused by improper installation of flapper
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the flapper had been installed correctly, there wouldn't have been a source of water for the flood; a clogged toilet would have been irrelevant.
If the toilet wasn't clogged, the water would have went down the drain.
Without both events happening simultaneously, there wouldn't have been a flood due to an overflowing toilet; as you admitted, the tenant wasn't even home at the time so proving that they flooded the apartment would be difficult at best. They reported to your security that they believed the toilet wasn't fixed. Twice. Then there was a flood while they were away, and now an owner that let the problem sit for 3 weeks after the repair is attempting to make them pay for the damages.
Look at both sides and see how this will play out. I assume that by the limits of the lease agreement that they weren't to make repairs, and to report problems and they did both. The owner/management is supposed to address the problem and it was reported 2 times after the first attempt and still wasn't fixed. You can't take bits and pieces of the whole and make a case that will hold water. pun intended

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.