Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is this the gas line going into my house?
Author: tx42 (TX)

Re: Is this the gas line going into my house?
Author: hj (AZ)

If you are referring to the orange pipe, it had better NOT be, and we cannot tell enough about the other one to tell what it is.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The one on the right looks like 3/4 copper that has been exposed to the elements. If you have an irrigation system, that is what I would suspect to be the supply.

The orange pipe carries the TV cable. I do have irrigation system, but that is a separate valve at the water main. I thought that stays totaly outside, why would that come inside?

How do I find where the gas line is making an entry?

Edited 1 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I am curious as to why someone who knows nothing about gas wants to find the gas line.

Find the gas meter.

Why: 1. I would just like to know these things (Yes I understand that I do not know a lot). 2. I will like to be careful when i dig my yard for plants, pavers, etc. The utility co marked the gas line outside the yard, but wont do that inside the yard.

Here is the gas meter.

And here is another pipe closest to the meter. Is this the gas line?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

it most likely is "a" gas line but may not be "the" gas line you are seeking

the meter outlet 'should' go directly into the house, not back into the ground and 'then' into the house

? do you have a remote grill or fire pit ?

from your pics you WILL require a plumber on site

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

That is how most meters are setup in this neighborhood. The meter sits outside the fence.

There is no grill or fire pit or anything else outside.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

then the answer is: more than likely

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks. Now that that is settled, is the copper pipe in the very first picture the main water line going into the house? I don't see any other pipes entering the house.

Yo are asking us questions that really need us to be there to answer them. IF that is the gas line, which is likely, it is in bad shape and was NOT installed properly.

I was trying to get some understanding of how all this is arranged, but looks like it is all non-standard and cannot be easily deduced. Sorry about that.

Also all the houses in the subdivion with rear alleways have the gas meters and pipes setup this way. Only very few houses that have no alleyways do have the meters directly connected to the walls.

The previous owner wrapped a black winter insulation tape all over the pipe, maybe thinking that it is a water pipe? That is why it looks rough in the picture. It does seem to have rust on it as well.

What the pipe ABOVE the ground looks like is not too important. The pipe underground is what can corrode through and start leaking.

OK I will get it inspected.

But, I still dont understand one thing: Even if the meter is on the wall, the pipe still has to go underground from the street to the meter. How is that different from this situation where meter is at the street and the pipe is underground from meter to the wall?

Author: djtheo11 (MA)

In Massachusetts, we have digsafe and they will come to your property and mark utilities before you dig. It's a free service. Looks like you have the same service in Texas:
[www.texas811.org]

It is an entirely different situation. The gas company does NOT use steel pipe, for one thing.

They only locate the line TO the meter. After the meter, it is the homeowner's responsibility.

"The gas company does NOT use steel pipe, for one thing" - got it now.

"They only locate the line TO the meter. After the meter, it is the homeowner's responsibility" - that is correct, I tried it already

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.