Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Wax Free Toilet Bowl Gasket
Author: djtheo11 (MA)

I'm remodeling a bathroom and because my new tile is thicker than the previous as well as much larger, I will be using a thicker bed of thinset beneath. This has caused an issue where my existing toilet flange will be slightly below the surface of the new tile. I've seen online that there are wax free toilet gaskets, such as one made by Fluidmaster, that accommodate these type of installations. Has anyone used one of these products as opposed to the traditional wax ring and any concerns with them? I had planned on taking some thinner tile and shimming the toilet flange as high as it can go to minimize the gap. I have not completed the tile work yet, but expect that the top of the flange to be at least the same height or maybe 1/4" below the new tile.

Jim

Re: Wax Free Toilet Bowl Gasket
Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you already know you will be doing it wrong why would you continue? Raise the flange to the proper height, then use whatever sealing method floats your boat.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

see if a PVC flange extension will work for you..

Author: djtheo11 (MA)

The waste pipe only has so much play and even when I try to lift it up as much as possible, it will be short. This is a second floor installation and I don't really want to bust open the ceiling from below.

Author: Lee (NJ)

I believe they have adjustable flanges for waste pipes for your toilet. I do not believe you have to struggle with lifting the waste pipe.

Adjustable PVC flanges.

I certainly am no plumber. I believe I saw the adjustable toilet flange question on this site. Possibly you should do a search

Best of luck to you!

Author: bernabeu (SC)

with the tile removed you can modify the piping FROM ABOVE w/o 'busting out the ceiling'

open 'er up from above enough to cut the vertical pipe as low as possible, install a coupling with a piece of pipe well above your new floor height ~ you will close 'er up and tile around said riser pipe (allowing for any 'lip' on new flange) then cut it to suit finished floor elevation and install your new flange RESTING ON TOP OF the tile AFTER you have the tile installed

you may need an internal PVC cutter:

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

you can use a toilet flange extension kit.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Packy, has Mass changed their plumbing laws and allowing home owners to remodel their bathroom plumbing?

Best Wishes

Author: Tomsplbg (IL)

Just use the fluidmaster wax free gasket & you'll be fine. Make sure there is NO WAX on the toilet bowl or closet flange.
Also make sure that you snug down the toilet bolts after you cut them down. Most guys don't do this and the toilet ends up rocking & moving around after while.

Author: m & m (MD)

Your situation is why I use waxless gaskets- they make up for small corrections to flange elevation, and the Fluidmaster has worked fine for me over the years.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.