Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Soldering Closed System - Leak Checks
Author: mwr (IN)

Im a beginner with soldering.

I did some 3/4 elbows. I realize I may have made a mistake.

Everything was cleaned and fluxed and it appears I have no leaks after a few hours.

However, I soldered between two shutoff valves in the off position. The water was drained between the two stops. But I imagine I should I have kept a valve (and a fixture open) to allow steam or air to travel.

Do you think I jeopardized the integrity of my joints by soldering in a closed run of pipe like this?

Also, whats a fair amount of time to give to say I was successful??... would I be more likely to see a a leak upon pressurization... or do I have to stay vigilant, checking for leaks for days or weeks?

Thanks for being patient with my beginner questions here... I realize this forum is geared toward the pros.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Soldering Closed System - Leak Checks
Author: KCRoto (MO)

The biggest problem that most beginners have is that of water in the lines creating steam and burning the pipe and fittings in my experience. If you didn't have any water in the lines, I wouldn't worry too much about leaks that might appear after the fact. If you were soldering multiple areas between shutoffs and no leaks have appeared, the only question I would ask is if any particular area gave you problems while soldering. If something was problematic, then I would check it every day for the next few days. It can take a few days for minuscule leaks to appear, but that doesn't normally happen if there wasn't a problem and the joints were cleaned and fluxed prior. Make sure to use a couple of soapy rags and a dry rag to clean excess flux and residue from around the joints and dry them afterward. If they don't leak after the pressure was initially applied, then hopefully all is well.

Author: hj (AZ)

sometimes you are lucky, and the air that expands and creates pin holes, also contracts as it cools and sucks the solder into the gaps. IF it is not leaking now, you have a good chance of it not leaking later, but then there are no guarantees, because "poor joints" CAN take a long time before they fail.

Author: Doug E. (CA)

post a up close pic of your solder joints and I would say if I would be concerned.
a picture tells a thousand words. Did you put 100 PSI on your system for testing?

Author: hj (AZ)

He could have a "perfect" fillet on the surface and absolutely NO solder inside the joint and it would look like a "good joint'.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.