Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 3 way diverter - incorrect plumbing, assumption, or valve
Author: rulitz (WA)

hello. I am putting in a new shower with 2 features/fixtures. 1st is the showerhead on one end, and 2nd is the handheld shower on the other end. I had a plumber rough in the lines and valves, but have since terminated him because I couldnt get him to show back up in less than a month between visits, and/or when he would show up, he just couldnt seem to finish anything or was doing a half-axx job...I have stories...Im sure youve heard them all.

At any rate, Im using all Hansgrohe equip and had him install the iBox Universal Plus with service stops(01850181), and directly above it a Quattro 3-way diverter(15930181). Again, there is only 2 features/fixtures total(fixed shower head on one end of shower, and handheld on other end next to bench).I had told him when he roughed in that I wanted the following options for the 3 way diverter: 1-shower only, 2-handheld only, and 3-shower + handheld at same time.

He plumbed the iBox + 3 way as shown for special piping on page 3 of the diverter manual(link below). And even though the manual indicates that any 2 positions can run simultaneously, this setup runs as follows: 1st & 3rd position both only run the shower head, 2nd position runs only the handheld.

Do I have the wrong valve, or did I assume incorrectly that one of the 3 valve positions would flow on 2 outputs, and therefore the only way to get 2 outputs simultaneously is to split the diverter lever between positions? Or...is it plumbed incorrectly?

Judging by the diagram in the manual for a three-feature install, Im starting to think that splitting the positions might very well be what HG intended.

Also, something I noticed was that the plumber went from 3/4" out of the iBox, reduced it to 1/2", and then back to the 3/4" going into the 3way. This is in about 4-5 inches. Granted, the hot & cold lines are both 1/2", but is this an unnecessary reduction in the supply to the diverter, and wont this hinder the shower head pressure...especially if both handheld and shower head are on at same time? ie. Is it worth reddoing it with all 3/4" between the iBox and diverter? Seems to me like it would be.

Any help and/or insight is greatly apprectiated.

Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Re: 3 way diverter - incorrect plumbing, assumption, or valve
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Ok, For the purposes of numbering the outlets from the 3-way, let us start clockwise from the water inlet. There are six ways to plumb the valve, and two of them are ideal for your situation. Two of the outlets must go to one fixture, one to another; none may be capped off according to the data sheets.
1. hand shower on outlet one
2. hand shower on outlet two
3. hand shower on outlet 3
4. showerhead on outlet 1
5. showerhead on outlet 2
6. showerhead on outlet 3

Any of the above scenarios would operate if only 2 fixtures would be in use, and the flow restrictors were intact. If you were to say.. remove the flow restriction, then options 1+3 would be ideal, as potentially more water flow to the shower head could occur if the valve were in position the right position (for install 1 it would be position 2.5, for install 3 position 1.5) However, this is really only theoretical, as the internal workings of the valve will only allow a specific flow rate at a given pressure regardless of how many fixtures are running. It sounds like your plumber installed #2 with the hand shower coming out of the #2 position and the shower head on both sides.. When your valve is positioned with the selector in position 1 or 3, you will have the shower head, positions 1.5 and 2.5 will be both shower and handheld, and position 2 will be handheld only. In reality, it will do exactly what you want. I don't think you will have an issue with 1/2 inch between the valve and diverter with your current setup. If you had like … 8 body sprays, then I would say you might want to upgrade the pipe to 3/4 inch. If you are concerned, then do it anyway while the wall is open, don't wait till later.
[#$%&] That is the link the op provided.. don't know why it is showing up like that though..

Edited 1 times.

So, just to clarify, my original assumption about how diverter would operate was incorrect(that one of the 3 positions would give simultaneous output on 2 devices), and that it is normal/expected behavior to have to split the hand lever/dial between 2 positions to get both to flow simultaneously?

Thanks again.

Also...what are the flow restrictors you are referring to? Are they the little washer things in the shower heads, or is it something inside the diverter valve itself? I didnt see anything in the diagrams and install manual.

yes and yes to a point. Almost every plumbing fixture has some sort of flow restriction, whether it is internal waterway sizing or in the case of shower heads, it is generally some sort of washer or screen like device that limits the amount of water that can flow through the head at a given pressure. A washing machine doesn't have a flow restriction other than the internal workings that limit water flow to control the amounts of hot and cold water. Outside hose faucets are unrestricted to a point, but they are slightly restricted where the washers meet the seats. Kitchen and bathroom sink faucets have aerators that limit the flow by adding several layers of screens or a restricting plate that has tiny holes in it that reduce the flow to ~2.2 gallons per minute, shower heads have similar devices that limit the flow to 2.5 gallons per minute in the U.S. after 1994.

yes. To make a visual representation of the internal workings of the valve, draw yourself a circle. A clock face is a good way to do this. If you make a mark around the perimeter at every 2 hours, you will have six zones. From 12 to 4 is your hand shower. from 4 to 8 is your shower head. from 8 to 12 is one of the two fixtures, it doesn't matter in this case. The internal waterway in this case will supply to a area equal to a 4 hour span at any given position (consider the water enters from behind and in the center). At any given time, there will be this pie shaped region of 120 degrees that will get water. you can rotate it in any direction, and you can basically see how the diverter works.

Thanks a lot for your time and help with this smile

Thanks a lot for your time and help with this. I really appreciate it.

Cheers.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.