Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Moen Chateau - faucet valve half-up
Author: plumberwonder (CA)

Moen Chateau Roman faucet 6990.

I messed up the valve (see pic). I could not remove the escutcheon plate. I turned and pulled the whole 'thing' half-way up. I don't know how to put it back. I want to change the cartridge. There is NO access panel! Please help. Thanks.

The right side is showed with the knob removed:

The below image is borrowed from Larry's posting.

Below are additional pictures links.

Half-open valve [drive.google.com]

Cold water valve [drive.google.com]

No access panel [drive.google.com]

Moen Chateau 6990 illustrated parts (pdf file) ---> [drive.google.com]

Edited 5 times.

Re: Moen Chateau - faucet valve half-up
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you may have merely pulled the 'screw on' escutcheon off its threads

if so just order a new one

if you actually moved the valve body it was never properly installed
you will need to create an access panel or retile after repair

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you didn't move the valve body, try shoving the escutcheon down and twist it clockwise. you may get it started back on the threads. You can't expect much with plastic threads…

Author: hj (AZ)

It looks like the actual valves are positioned the same way, so all you did was pull the escutcheon up from the tub. IT should screw back down. You DO NOT have remove the trim to replace the stem, but you DO NEED the special wrench to remove it. The wrench part number is listed in the instruction sheet that comes with the new stem.

Thank you all for your replies! I'm not handy at all and I'll ask dumb questions. Per 'hj' I did not move the valve. Have I almost unfastened the top locknut? It was hard to turn that locknut. What lubricants can I use on it? I'm very afraid to play around with the trim or valve until I know for sure how to assemble/unassemble it. What tool should I use to turn the flat thin locknut down easily? The locknut is so flat!

The right side is showed with the knob removed:

The below image is borrowed from Larry's posting.

We cannot tell you HOW to restore the trim to its original location, because we do not know what you did to get it this way. The thin brass nut appears to be warped or twisted, which would make it difficult to screw it back down. Normally BOTH of those parts would just screw down. NEITHER of them had to "touched" to repair the faucet so you appear to have taken a "simple" task and made it a major project.

Thanks 'hj'! Did you mean I may have to break the tile to get to the valve below the deck? I forgot how I did it 'cause it was 2 years ago! I'll try to lub it and fasten it down. Is there any chance the valve can be turned at the same time when I turn the top screw down? Any way to prevent more problems when I try to put it back? Thanks.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

quote:Any way to prevent more problems when I try to put it back?
answer: yes. You need to stop messing with it before you completely destroy something. Call in someone that can do the job correctly and has the tools. Some jobs take a wrench, others take screwdrivers; when all you have is a hammer, you need to know when to stop.

IF the valve was installed properly, it will not turn when you TRY to screw the parts back down. At this stage, from the way they look however, I think they were damaged and have to be replaced with new parts. My suggestion would be to call a plumber who should have the proper tool to replace the cartridge and might be able to use those parts, or get new ones, to make it look proper.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

get new parts from Moen - they will/may install MUCH easier than your bent/damaged old parts AND look much better

TO ORDER PARTS CALL: 1-800-BUY-MOEN
www.moen.com

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.