Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 tub trap question
Author: mwr (IN)

I noticed the sch. 40 trap for my bathtub does not have a union or a cleanout. Are tub traps supposed to have them?

Re: tub trap question
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Most tubs do not. The trap is removable with a saw and isn't built into the tub itself, so it satisfies any requirements. Typically tubs and showers are glued so that they can't leak, and can't loosen over time for any reason. If you have to remove it, you are already tearing out ceilings or floors, so it is a case of in for a penny, in for a pound anyhow.

Author: packy (MA)

my code says if any trap is exposed it must have a cleanout plug in the bottom or have a union joint in it. if it is concealed inside a ceiling it does not need those requirements..

This is in a drop ceiling. However, the trap falls lower than the ceiling by a few inches so an access hatch was built around the drain assembly of the tub.

Code violation?

Author: packy (MA)

it is in MA..

Then I would build a box to enclose it. You could use 2x2's and some scrap drywall to meet the requirements.

Author: hj (AZ)

I NEVER use a union trap for a bathtub or shower.

Not here. But why are you even asking about removing the trap? You don't have to do that to clear the drain, if you have the right equipment and knowledge of how to do it.

In MA, everything is "against the code", and in CA, everything causes cancer. If you two states ever get together the rest of us are in BIG trouble.

HJ
I was asking in case I have to replace it. I see a 1.5 pvc fitting connected to the trap downstream a bit that doesn't appear to be glued. I cant say for sure and I don't have leakage but I saw a little buildup on the joint suggesting maybe it has been wet. I don't see any evidence of primer or glue there either.

Ive been watching it and if its a leaker, the trap would have to be removed for repair.

If so you suggest a glued trap or one with the cleanout plug then instead of the union? (I sure like the union, it makes getting things lined up easier for me it seems)

Edited 1 times.

when you put in a glued trap, you can put the 180 degree portion on last so that you can just push it straight up and don't have to fight it. Before glueing, you can align the other pieces as you glue them and just dry fit the bottom of the trap and let the waste arm portion cure. After glueing the bottom, double check and slip nuts on the waste and overflow and around the tub shoe especially. If the tub drain isn't in good shape, it is a good time to replace it if everything is taken apart and exposed.

Author: melissalara (TX)

I think now the latest hot tubs have the shower trap facilities if you want to put the hot tubs in the bathrooms or gardens. This is good to put a trap as to collect sediment before it passes through and into the sewer.

[www.everythinghottubz.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.