Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Removing a 3" waste stack and replacing with 4-1 1/2" vents???
Author: hotsk8rsxe (NJ)

I have attached a quick sketch of what I am looking to do. I am removing the wall that the 3" stack is in, and I was hoping that I could eliminate it as per the attached drawing. I am considering that the surface area of 1 1/2" pipe is 1.8 - so 4 of them would equal 7.2 square inches, and the 3" stack is 7.1 square inches, so I figure as long as I tie each 1 1/2" vent back into the 3" individually It should work; For some reason I am second guessing myself.

Anyone have any thoughts for me.

Thank you all in advance for reading/responding to my post.

Michael

Re: Removing a 3" waste stack and replacing with 4-1 1/2" vents???
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Local code here requires that a minimum of a full sized 3" vent run all the way to the roof.

Author: hj (AZ)

That is NOT a "universal" requirement. Many, if not most these days, just require and aggregate total AREA equal to the incoming pipe size, and often a 2" minimum for the toilet.

Author: packy (MA)

mass code requires one full size vent stack thru the roof, no matter if there are 101 smaller vents...

Author: KCRoto (MO)

You need to check with the local code office, they can tell you specifically what the minimum requirements are in your area. The local jurisdiction has the final say.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the REASON for a full size vent thru roof:

FROST / SNOW will/may block a smaller vent (frost may form from the vent's condensation)

best practice (regardless of lesser code reqs); 4" thru the roof ending min 24" above

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

As I said it is a "local issue" and what applies to MA, may not be relevant to this person's area. And, if it is an IPC code area it may not even need a 2" vent for the toilet.

Author: steve (CA)

San Francisco requires a full size vent(equal to building drain) and there's not much snow/frost there.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.