Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 clearing a cap out of main
Author: ericsandstone (TX)

At a residence we were tasked with clearing a cap out of the main line. The cap in question is apparently one that would normally go onto a mouth wash bottle. At a guess from what I witnessed on sea snake cam is that the diameter of cap is 2". Naturally the main in this case is 3".

The first attempt involved using plastic tie-wraps to attach rigid 3100 jetter to sea snake and using this set-up to find cap and blow it out to the end of main. It did not budge much after many bursts of water.

Second plan was to lift man hole cover in street to phish the jetter in by using the sea snake from pulled WC in home. This was to allow for a back jetting of the cap into city main.
We tried with the "phished" components still attached and then with jetter free of sea snake.

Cap moved but, not by much. My guess would be that the cap has another 10 to 15 feet to go before the cap goes into city mains.

I am under impression that on a previous call for same problem that a less than 1500 was used to no avail.

I am wandering if this calls for a the 1500 to be used to simply push the cap out or if a specific attachment would produce a completed call instead of another call back.

Some are speaking of digging up front yard and getting into pipes but, I think thats a bit much over a cap.

Re: clearing a cap out of main
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Has anyone tried simply cabling the line? I can almost guarantee that running plenty of water and cabling the drain will remove the cap.

Author: m & m (MD)

You never mentioned whether or not the cap has resulted in a stopped main.

Yes.

I was wondering if simply running every fixture in the home simultaneously would do the trick but, I agree with response one.

Yes.

It has been creating at least a nasty partial blockage. Possibly a nearly full blockage.

I was playing the helper role to a more seasoned plumber so, I did not pay strong attention to the history when he rattled it off.

Wow plumbers... you are lightning fast on the responses!

Author: m & m (MD)

I would agree with KC (whom I'm sure is an elated Royals fan whilst I remain a dazed Orioles fan) that a strong flush of the house fixtures while cabling the main from the manhole would coax the cap out. Fill all the tubs, sinks, washer, etc. and drain them simultaneously. The action of the snake will keep the cap in suspension and allow it to 'surf' the wave on out.

That sounds promising. Not just running water "just from one lavatory" but, filling and dumping in concert with pushing with snake.

Author: hj (AZ)

A proper sized snake with the proper head would not leave any room in the pipe for the obstruction to do anything BUT move ahead of it regardless of any water flow.

Thanks. Perfect sense

Ok.

That makes perfect and efficient sense.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks. Perfect sense

Went back out to this today.

Came with jetter, seesnake, and 1500.

We used 1500 first. Followed with cam to find how distant cap was. Put 1500 back in with one more length to push cap to main.

Thanks for sound advice.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.