Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Richmond water heater flooded
Author: TbyDvl13 (MO)

This morning i found about 5-6 inches of water in my basement when i went to relight the pilot light on my Richmond 40 gallon natural gas 6 year tall water heater. Needless to say, i cannot get the pilot light relit. I have read conflicted advice as to what to do next. I do not have any experience with plumbing/water heaters. What steps, if any, can i take without having to call a "professional"?

Re: Richmond water heater flooded
Author: bernabeu (SC)

if the gas fired heater was flooded it needs to be replaced

it will be cheaper than a total rebuild

install the new one 18" above the floor as per code

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Where did the water come from? if from the water heater, the only "repair" is to replace it.

Author: packy (MA)

where does it say that a water heater must be installed 18" above the floor?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If the tank has the flammable vapor ignition resistance built in, then you are better off replacing the tank. If it doesn't, then you will most likely have to remove the water from the gas tube and pilot light tube. I have used a torch to steam out the water from the pilot tube on occasion. If it will light and maintain a flame, the water will push out of the other line when your turn on the main burner. If it still won't light, you are better off replacing it.

the FVIR issue, the international mechanical code, and common sense says so

good/best practice says so

after the flood and ruined heater says so

? why would one NOT want to 'do it right' ?

..... rant over

quote; where does it say that a water heater must be installed 18" above the floor?

Only when the writer engages in hyperbole.

a 'gas fired' water heater, unless FVIR equipped, must be 18" above finished floor

however

new heaters BUILT after 2003 are FVIR equipped and may be floor mounted

To meet the American National Standards Institute’s (ANSI) new standard for gas water heaters, a slightly different gas water heater has hit the market. Though the change in the actual design of water heaters will differ somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer, the objective is the same. That is to reduce the potential of fire or explosion from flammable vapors ignited by gas water heaters.

As of July 1, 2003, 30, 40, and 50-gallon, gas-fired water heaters built for sale in the United Sates must include features that will resist the ignition of flammable vapors outside of the unit. Suppliers, in an effort to capitalize on the concerns of the changeover, including the increase in price, stocked up on the conventional models. As that stock runs out, the newer appliances will be sold.

also:

For quite awhile, across the United States, it's been code that tanks, especially gas fired, be mounted on a pedestal to keep the burner at least 18 inches off the floor. That's to keep it from igniting fumes that tend to hug the floor. A new standard recently went into effect that mandates a baffled combustion chamber that is supposed to resolve that problem. May not apply to electric fired tanks. Check your local code!

VIC,

Care to chime in ?

smiling smiley

Edited 3 times.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

In what context? Was the second paragraph referring to garage installations? Both of those excerpts are taken from news articles, not from official documentation anywhere.

The IRC specifies garage installation primarily because of gasoline fumes

HOWEVER

any room that communicates directly with the garage is considered to be part of the garage

SO

If there is a door between the garage and the basement ? ................. smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

also see: [www.plbg.com]

quote; new heaters BUILT after 2003 are FVIR equipped

Until recently that only applied to heaters 50 gallon and smaller.

It is in the gas codes, but not necessarily in the plumbing codes. Whether an area has ADOPTED the relevant gas code is a local issue. Our area had not, several years ago, so I had to tell the inspectors about it when I could not elevate the heaters, so they would approve the installation.

quote; If there is a door between the garage and the basement ? ................. smiling smiley

THAT door, but definition and code MUST be a "fire rated" self closing door, so it would not be a factor. Garage storage rooms are NOT protected that way, but if the room has a "sealed door" with external combustion air and upper vents it would not apply to it either.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.