Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drainage issues - warranty
Author: faceman (TX)

Ok....This started about 5 years ago. A nationwide plumbing company replaced a sewer line from the edge of the house to the Main. A year later....because of tree roots, they replaced from the edge of the house to the back of the house on the same line. They dug under the house. That see to fix the backups until a year or so ago when the local water company agreed to dig up my connection to the main and separate my house and the next door house from the same connection to the main (no charge for that).

The plumbing company never told us that it was a shared connection at the main (that would have been very helpful). Anyway, going back to the work the plumbing company did.....when they dug under the house...the backfill job was not the greatest it seemed. I have broken walkway that was put back in a V-shape. Well....we started having foundation issues, specifically where the put the new pipe. Matter of fact...overtime, the house sunk right along the line where the pipe was placed. Now, I have foundation work that too expensive to pay for and a wrecked house.

The latest issue is that my laundry drain pipe was backing up and may have come loose from it's connection to that new pipe that plumbing company put in. My question.....I know they will claim they are not responsible for the foundation, but what about the Laundry drain connection?

Would their warranty cover that connection? I have their warranty plan.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 2 times.

Drainage issues - warranty
Author: KCRoto (MO)

The only way to see that the connection is broken from the laundry to the main would be to run a camera down it or excavate the connection. I would suggest contacting an attorney before going forward, as the improper backfilling may have caused the line to drop under the foundation as well.

Your sewer may be running uphill or flat now if that is the case and they may be liable for the foundation as well.

I would get professional legal counsel before doing any more work. If someone comes in later and does work, the first company can claim that the second company's work was at fault for the foundation.

The laundry might simply be a clog and the line isn't actually damaged at all.

Either way, make sure that you don't legally shoot yourself in the foot.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Drainage issues - warranty
Author: hj (AZ)

They would have to have dug below the footings for their trenches to cause settling and damages. IF that was the case, and they did not follow the specifications for digging adjacent to a footing, then there could be a liability, even though the standard is for a one year warranty.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.