Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Weird Noise
Author: mike_puc (VA)

Hello All, I have a weird hammering noise that I can't explain its source. I live in a townhouse and I get long hard hammering noise. Could this be coming from the upstream (city side), maybe from my neighbors? The noise happens when no water is running. If I close the valve downstream (reduced pressure side) I still get the shaking pipes, but no noise. If I instead close the upstream valve, all hammering and shaking pipes stop. Could this noise be coming from the pressure reducing valve?

Lets say I replace the pressure reducing valve, what other devices or components can I put in the circuit to protect all my hardware from the city side, if in fact its the city side.

[youtu.be]

Mike

Re: Weird Noise
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I would contact your local water supplier and have them do a "look see"

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

It is almost impossible for a PRV to create ANY noise if there is no water passing through it. DO NOT waste any money on anything until you know PRECISELY where the sound is coming from.

Author: mike_puc (VA)

Well the water company replaced the meter but I still have the hammering, not as loud or as long though. It only happens when no water is running. Could it be the hot water tank? Or the pressure reducing valve? Or something else upstream?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

The constant shaking of the pipes regardless of the incoming line being on make me think that there is a recirculation pump hooked up somewhere.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.