Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 B&G Motor noisy?
Author: syakoban (NJ)

Hi,

I just changed the impeller housing, coupler, and motor mounts, on my B&G 100 since there was some water leaking last season. I carefully followed this video [youtu.be] and it went smoothly. Upon firing up the system for the season, the motor is very noisy. The set screws are positioned carefully on the counterbore's on the shafts and everything is tight. The coupler sounds quiet. It sounds as if there's a rattlish type noise in the electrical motor that was never there last year. Can that be? Is there something else to look at?

Thanks guys.

Edited 1 times.

Re: B&G Motor noisy?
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Have the bearings been oiled with the proper oil?

Author: m & m (MD)

Did you oil the bearing assembly when you installed it? It takes a good amount initially. For the amount of money you put into the unit, you could have put in a new mini 3 speed circ. for the same or slightly more.

Just make sure it's not a monoflow system?

Yes I used the oil tube that came with the impeller housing and filled all 3 cups.

What is a monoflow system and what should I look for?

The monoflow comment was for the possibility of changing to a different circ. A monoflow system is a single loop off the boiler, that uses special tees to redirect part of the water to each radiator.

No - threee zone valves.

So would it really be the electric motor internally?

It could be the bearings. Uncouple the motor and run it by itself.Double check the coupling while you have it apart. You're probably use to it, but would you describe the water circulating in the system as noisy?

Edited 2 times.

Thanks

Thanks Paul.

Coupling is new but I'll check it.

I pretty much have the system bled, so no real gurgling, just the motor noise.

Edited 1 times.

You're more than likely moving a lot of water with that circ. I was wondering if you were getting freight train-like noise. What type of emitters do you have....cast iron radiators,fin-tube baseboard?

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.