Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How would you install this sump pump basin?
Author: ricodontknow (IL)

I recently cut out and re-routed a problematic sewer line and in doing so cut out the floor drain and dug out for a sump pump basin. In the last few days we’ve gotten about 5 “of rain (and a lot more in recent weeks) and so this morning as I was getting ready to install the basin, I noticed about 6” of water in the bottom of the dug pit. (Our basement rarely gets water) The edges around the pit were dry and so I’m guessing that this water came from water pressure in the area and has forced the water into the pit?

My question is now what to do with the basin? (It’s one of the more solid/nicer ones) Should I proceed as I planned and put rock around the basin and finish the top few inches with concrete, or should I drill holes around the basin about 4” from the bottom to allow water to seep in and then install with rock and concrete? The instructions refer to perimeter drainage and say nothing about using it for stationary purposes.

Am on the right track? Should I drill holes around the basin or leave it solid?

Would appreciate any advice I can get. Thank You!!

Re: How would you install this sump pump basin?
Author: m & m (MD)

You can approach it both ways- you'll have to decide what you want to do. If you drill the holes, you will be maintaining the water table under the slab at that level, no higher. If you leave the receptor solid, then you will only be dealing with water above the slab.

Your post indicates that you rarely have water intrusion into the house and it also appears that you have never had a basin before to this point. If it was me under those circumstances, I would leave the basin solid.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks! big grin
Author: ricodontknow (IL)

Appreciate your advice M&M, that's what I'll do. Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.