Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Inspection problem- please advise!
Author: Tracyrs14 (MD)

I am a homeowner with what seems like a big problem. I'm 80-90% through a sizable kitchen /laundry/1/2 bath reno. Have had some really bad issues with the GC but for the most part felt that all his subs were good. Everyone is licensed and this is a permitted job that I've almost paid in full. Because of all the problems, in an effort to terminate the contract I called WSSC (water co.) to get status on plumbing permit ( I had very little involvement w/plumbing sub) and much to my horror found out that the plumber nor the GC ever called for the required close in inspection. I've been closed in for 2 months and no more than 2 weeks away from a final inspection. All cabinets, countertops, sinks, toilets, tile and drywall are in (and just painted). Inspector told me that it all has to be opened up. Called the plumber and took him totally off guard and I think it's a safe bet that both he and GC are now walking as I never heard back from either one. I will obviously pursue legal action but don't know where to begin on finishing this project as the one plumber I called who has been my regular plumber for years wont touch it. Any advice much appreciated...

Re: Inspection problem- please advise!
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I think at this point this falls into a legal matter and we can't advise you on this. I am sure that a competent and qualified attorney can advise you as to your specific course of action and the steps that need to be taken. Best of luck, I hope the remodel exceeds your expectations.

Author: packy (MA)

your own plumber has nothing to be afraid of. as long as he talks to the inspector about the situation and pulls a permit. you will have to open up whatever areas the new plumbing is installed in and test the piping. or rip it all out and start over again.
the plumber who did the work is in big trouble. he will be fined and possibly lose his license.
so, get a good lawyer and have him/her open a dialogue with the inspectional services.
no way around this, you are in a very bad situation...

Author: hj (AZ)

FEw plumbers would accept the responsibility for a job they have not done, even if they could access all the "visible" parts.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The $2000 for an architect or project manager to oversee the job seems cheap enough NOW.

? Who was 'watching' while the work was being done ?

? Did you insist on a performance bond ?

? Were YOU qualified to oversee this type of project ?

? Did you hire someone who WAS ?

! NOW THE ATTORNEYS GET WEALTHY !

Unfortunately this is an oft repeated sad sad tale as the contractor in many jurisdictions does NOT require a permit ~ the builder / owner however, DOES.

Live and LEARN ~ CAVEAT EMPTOR

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; ? Did you insist on a performance bond ?

Have you EVER heard on any one getting a performance bond for a job like this?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes, I have

they cost about $100-200 per $10,000 of covered work

I have paid for them myself

many 'contractors' do not qualify for coverage

perfect - the insurance co. has screened them for me

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.