Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Identifying shower ball joint maker
Author: clandestina (OH)

I recently moved into an older apartment and want to replace my shower head. Of course, instead of it being a simple replacement, I have to deal with a ball joint. I'm looking for the right adapter to use so I can change my shower head (I don't think I'll be able to replace the shower arm, unfortunately.)

Would anyone be able to identify the maker of this shower arm?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Identifying shower ball joint maker
Author: KCRoto (MO)

you should be able to unscrew the joint at where the shower arm connects to the 'ball joint' of the shower head. You can leave the old shower arm where it is. Using two pair of slip joint pliers if necessary (One for the shower arm, and one for the nut) should get it off in no time. the pliers on the shower arm should have the opening facing left, and hold pressure at about 6 o'clock pushing slightly clockwise just as a backup to prevent movement. The second set of pliers on the nut with the opening to the right side, with the handles in the 8 o'clock position and apply pressure counterclockwise toward your other hand. All the work should be done with the pliers on the nut, and the shower arm should remain stationary. Once the nut breaks free you can remove the right hand pliers you used as backup and remove the shower head. If you have some grey tape or electrical tape, it helps to put a wrap of it around the shower arm so that your pliers don't cut into the metal of the arm as badly.

Author: steve (CA)

The ball portion unscrews from the arm and a standard head will then screw on to the arm.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

To remove the showerhead, use a cresent wrench to turn the hex-shaped part just above the "ball-joint" CCW. If the shower arm wants to turn with it, just remove the whole thing. That is a run-of-the-mill 1/2" pipe thread standard shower arm, available at pulumbing supply places. If you don't want to replace the shower arm, try to polish it up with some #000 steel wool and gentle cleanser. If that works, just slide the old trim bezel off, slip on a new one, and just put the new showerhead on. Good to go.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

What you wish to do.... should not be difficult for the average person. The entire shower head assembly does come off at the shower arm. What IS more important is .... do have permission to change the shower head, from the apartment owner or manager? Will you accept responsibility for any damages that could be caused if you create any damages? I would obtain written permission before I would attempt this job.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Will you accept responsibility for any damages that could be caused if you create any damages? I would obtain written permission before I would attempt this job.

You are either paranoid or a lawyer.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If you don't want to change the shower arm, you can sand it, and the escucheon, and use a quality spray paint on it.Save some good pictures of it before, so when the landlord claims you ruined it, you can show them how lovely it was.

Does ANYONE actually believe the landlord would know if the shower arm and head were replaced?

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Are you refering to the pristine vintage shower head and arm? The ones that are going to cost some of their security deposit to replace? I/we don't know, but they can throw the pictures away after they get their security deposit back.

quote; Are you refering to the pristine vintage shower head and arm?

Yes, The Pfister $5.95 special.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I dunno, I bet you could clean that up and sell it for some good cash on ebay. I would bet that shower head runs closer to 5 gallons per minute. With all the water conservation out there, somebody is frustrated enough to pay for it. I found one that looks very similar for about 200 bucks. [www.ebay.com]

Edited 1 times.

quote; I found one that looks very similar for about 200 bucks.

That is what they are ASKING for it, but if you notice, it is still for sale. The shower head in this posting is a generic one that has absolutely nothing except sentimental value, and almost no intrinsic value as a used one.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.