Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Commercial Toilets
Author: rgiorgio (FL)

Just purchased American Standard Champion 4 One piece toilets for my restaurant. Am i going to be happy with these? Bought 2 to try, but going to need 12 total. Seen comments for others.

Re: Commercial Toilets
Author: packy (MA)

looks decent and gets good reviews...
also, it is not available for sale in California. to me, that is a good selling point.

Author: m & m (MD)

For public use, I always recommend pressure-assist toilets. You never know what is going to be flushed by the public and a pressure-assist gives you an added advantage.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Pressure assist are noisy and spray water everywhere. If they are going to be tank style, I prefer anything with a large base, and a smooth line around it. Toto is what I have installed a lot of, and everyone has been happy. They are easy to clean, clean around, and seldom if ever have a problem flushing.

Author: HawaiiPlumber (HI)

The champions have the best flush on the market according to American Standard. Ive watched the demo online where they flush all kinds of simulated poop down it. I installed two champions after watching. Great flush! But the lady really liked to clean with bleach. I dont know if she was pouring it in the tank or what. But the flapper seal kept going out. It would get a air bubble in it and leak through after about 3months. Finally I noticed the smell of bleach in the bathroom and told her not to put bleach in the tank. Have not been back since. So dont use those blue taplets or let the janitor pour bleach in the tank and you will be happy.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Restaurant Washrooms, do not make money for restaurants. Washrooms are EXPENSES. Some restaurants would rather NOT have washrooms if they could get away with it, but building codes require it so they do only what is necessary. That Am Std toilet may work well in residential environments, but in a commercial setting, I have to wonder. A toilet with tank is much easier to vandalize that a wall hung commode with a commerical flush valve. And then there are the costs associated with cleaning and repairs.
5 Star Restaurants, normally but not always have "state of the art" washrooms. Greasy Spoons, often have a "hole in the ground" and never enough toilet paper.
Residental toilets will work in a commercial application, but a commercial toilet will NOT work in a residental application. Will the toilet you considered create a useful washroom environment or create and repair nightmare and draw you from your money making venture to constantly cleaning the toilet. Will your restaurant serve spirits too?
Best Wishes

Author: vic (CA)

I'm with KCRoto on this.

IF I owned a 5 star restaurant or a wonderful diner I'd install a basic gravity elongated Toto toilet.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; but a commercial toilet will NOT work in a residental application.

WHO made up that "rule"? A toilet does not know where it is being installed, and the only difference between a commercial and residential application is how often it will be used.

Author: m & m (MD)

One additional recommendation I would make to a pressure-assist toilet would be a vandal-proof tank lid.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Residential vs Commercial ?
Ask the plumbing engineers, but sometimes a residential toilet is "used" for commercial purposes. To me personally, a commercial design is wall mounted on carriers, and using a commercial flush valve. The wall hung allows for easy floor cleaning and sanitizing the area around the opening and toilet seat, less cover.

Floor mounted with tanks, tells me a residential building with undersized water supply using 1/2 inch supply for tanks. What about urinals too?

I'm guessing that commercial allows cross over when water is under supplied. There is, in this application, not a whole lot of information.

Best Wishes

Author: vic (CA)

Wheelchair in part stated: "The wall hung allows for easy floor cleaning and sanitizing the area around the opening ..."

No question about that and I agree with Wheelchair completely on that.

There is no "perfect" toilet. Wall hung or floor mount. Flush valve or tank.

Recognize though that the flush valves used with wall hung toilets need a certain amount minimum water pressure or they'll keep running when flushed.So if going with a flush valve type of toilet be sure there is plenty of pressure and volume to the flush valve.

I've worked on many wall hung toilets in many venues (hospitals, jails, restaurants and so on) and have seen many carrier "issues". Meaning that over time wall hung toilets can sag a bit due to numerous causes and then there can be leaks and other problems. Therefor although floor mounted toilets aren't quite as sanitary they tend to have less issues from my point of view.

Author: HawaiiPlumber (HI)

If he is able to install a residential gravity fed toilet then He probably wont want to rip up the whole bathroom to install a wall hung pressure assited toilet.

Author: Carol (CA)

I have wall mounted Crane toilets in my home which were installed in the 40's with floor flush mechanisms. I need to replace a floor flushometer mechanism and need to find an old one. The new ones are light activated with batteries and don't have the same flushing force. Any ideas where I can find this?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.