Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 When doing more than 1 load of laundry, bathroom leaks in basement
Author: DebbieW (MO)

In basement, after second load of laundry, basement bathroom floor leaks water (not through drain in shower), through 2 small holes outside shower. Washer is around 20 feet from bathroom. Some water about 2 feet from washer, but none around washer. Washer is old. Have had TWO drain companies here that cleaned (roto rooter thinking it was tree roots) from house drains to street drains. First drain company gave up. Last company used camera and gave me disk. Camera did not work under floor though even though they cleaned under floor. They said they were positive it was not pipes under floor. Six weeks later, have water after second load of laundry. Is it my washer, pipes, what? Two things about washer -- cup in agitator is laying on clothes when this happens and it's a little damp on left side of washer (no water, just damp) and it almost looks rusty on edge. When drain companies are here, they run washer a bunch of times, run water hose through drains, no leaks. Thank you I'm desperate.

Re: When doing more than 1 load of laundry, bathroom leaks in basement
Author: KCRoto (MO)

I had a washer that when the clothes in it weren't balanced, it shook violently during the spin cycle and the metal drum cut grooves in the plastic tub that actually holds the water. It only leaked when clothes were in it, and on a large cycle, but I flipped it upside down and spotted the holes with a flashlight. It could be the washer leaking or it could be a hole in the drain line from the washer to the main dumping water under the foundation and it is coming up the two holes. The reason I suspect the washer's tub more is because if a company filled and ran the washer repeatedly, water should have been pouring out the holes if it only takes 2 times to do it normally.

Thank you

Thank you for responding so quickly. I so hope you are right. I will start looking for a new washer. I have already spent over 2K on drain companies and I can't imagine what it would cost to tear up my basement floor. It is a large load when it happens. What you say makes total sense. Now I will start researching new washers. Thank you again!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thank you

I can't guarantee that is the case, but throwing a possibility out there. I would have fixed mine but the part was more than half the cost of the machine and labor would have made it more than a new cheap washer.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Maybe its just me.... but are you paying drain cleaning companies for negative results work. I'd be ashamed to take your money. Who suggested cleaning drains?

Best Wishes

Hi: I called the first drain company because everyone told me it was probably tree roots. They took a bunch out. Then 6 months later it happened again, called them again and he couldn't find anything, but had me run all the water throughout house and ran the washer a bunch of times, ran water hose through all the drains, etc. That lasted ONE MONTH and called him back. They stated on their invoice they didn't guarantee their work and only used a 3" cutter? through the pipes. That time they did not charge, but gave up and suggested I get a drain company that was approved by the County to run a camera in case it was the County's problem. Got the new drain company about 6 weeks ago, they cleaned the pipes from street to bathroom drain with a larger cutter. Ran water just like before. They gave me CD showing nothing. Tried to use camera under floor in basement but could not get it to go because of the angle of the pipes He said he was POSITIVE the pipes under the floor were fine. Was going to call them tomorrow, but why pay for them to tell me the same thing if it is the washer? Thanks.

I wouldn't have charged on the camera if nothing can be seen. You can always see something unless the equipment isn't functioning.

When I watched the CD, you couldn't see anything and that is also what the guy said. Sounds like I was taken, charged $900. Need to get the invoice out, but think I paid for the camera by the hour and he did use the cutter. That's why I think I should get a new washer which should be much cheaper. If that doesn't work, sounds like I need to get another drain company.

Author: HawaiiPlumber (HI)

"2k on drain cleaning companies" "Roto Rooter" seems like those two fit together well. As far as the problem goes it Sounds fishy to me. You should not have sewage seeping up through holes in your floor. Who ever told you your pipes are fine is an @#$%& if that is really coming from the washer. Next time it happens smell the water and see if it smells like laundry soap. If it does I would have some choice words for the guy who videoed nothing and charged you for horrible information.

When I worked for them we did the work we charged for or we didn't charge. Just because you didn't/don't like roto-rooter in the past doesn't mean that every person employed by the company should be saddled with disrespect like that, especially from another plumber. If it was in Kansas City, I could tell you who to use there, and who to talk to to get your money back. When I left they were using vhs tapes in the camera (sad I know), but even then they didn't take advantage of people like that. Even if a line needed augured out, and branch lines cleaned, jetted, and camera done it still wouldn't get that high. To the original poster, if this was in the Kansas City area, let me know and I will get you the name of the person to talk to.

Edited 1 times.

No, it was not in Kansas City and it was not Roto Rooter. It was in St. Louis. They both have good records with the BBB. The second one was brought in by a local plumbing company I called. They all did "auger" as you call it and the last company stayed around 2 hours. My big question to you experts is, do you think it is my washer or the pipes under the floor. I don't remember noticing any odors at all. It is clear water. I so hope it is the washer because the basement floor is linoleum and I'm sure there is asbestos involved since the house was built in 1953. One thing that you might want to know, there are 2 drains in the basement, one in the shower (water comes out of 2 small holes right next to shower as you step out of shower) and one in middle of basement (it did have some muddy looking yuck the first time this happened and yesterday just a little rim of water). I can call the company that used the camera if you think it would help. One more thing, I do have pics on my phone of the side of washer and holes in bathroom floor if that would help. Thank you all for responding.

Just checked my invoice. Work done on August 8 and only gave 30 day guarantee. Missed by 2 weeks. Uggghhh

Author: Paul48 (CT)

If you are describing a floor drain, and water is backing up and coming out of it, it's not your washing machine that's the problem.

So what do you think it is?

Update

Update: I called plumbing company that contracted to drain company. They will have drain company come on Wednesday and camera from washer to drain, she said they did not do that originally and were supposed to do it. This will be at no cost to me. Will keep you updated.

Edited 1 times.

There is a blockage on your piping somewhere. Normally a camera would reveal the problem, but, it would have to be plugged in.

Thanks, Paul. I will let you know what I find out when they come on Wednesday. The CD they gave me shows the camera moving through all my pipes and there was no blockage there. However, I don't know how far the camera came in the house. Sounds like it might be from the washer to the first drain. I hope they can fix that without tearing up the floor because I can't afford that and don't know if I trust these people anyway.

I hope I get a response on this. The drain company was just here. He said he could not run a camera from the washer drain to the main drain. He ran water down washer drain for 25 minutes (he said equal to about 10 loads of laundry). He said the drains and pipes are fine, the water flowed great to outside. He "thinks" it is the water table. He based that on the water coming up through those two holes in floor next to shower. He said if it was a drain or pipe problem, the water should come up through drain. He suggests sump pump, but he called plumbing company that contracted to his drain company and they said we need to wait until next time it rains to see if it happens again. He also said it is not my washer. In summary, no drain problem, no pipe problem, no washer problem, but when I do 2 loads of laundry, water in basement. Also, I thought we were in a drought? Thanks.

"Washer is around 20 feet from bathroom. Some water about 2 feet from washer, but none around washer".

Does this washer share a wood-framed wall with the shower? Is it possible that the water from the washer is running back under the wall, then down to the shower and collecting under it? Circle the washer with paper towels, or toilet paper, and run it. Let's see if it's leaking.Let us know.
I need to be more specific. Don't just run the machine, do a large load of laundry.

Edited 2 times.

Hi: First the washer is not near the wall to the bathroom. Wall on outside of bathroom is concrete and inside bathroom it is some sort of shiny material, like cement blocks I think someone once called it. Anyway, put toilet paper down around washer, all dry. Funny thing which may be normal but I don't think so. Opened the washer while running and the water was really dark and dirty looking and the majority of the clothes I put in there were just washed and not worn. Maybe it is always dark water since I normally don't open it during washing. No water leaks at all, anywhere. Thanks.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.