Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Are 45 degree fittings allowed in horizontal drain pipe?
Author: GCAL (TX)

I am replacing a single sink bathroom vanity. The stub out in the wall runs horizontally approx. 2.5 feet over to a sanitary tee and drain / vent stack. I need to raise the stub out in the wall approx. 2 inches to accommodate the new vanity in order to avoid notching a shelf located in the vanity.

My question is can I cut the 1 1/2 horizontal drain pipe and add a couple of 45 degree fittings to raise the horizontal drain pipe in the wall the needed amount and meet code? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Are 45 degree fittings allowed in horizontal drain pipe?
Author: steve (CA)

Legally, no. You would be creating something similar to an S trap. without raising the san T, you would need to add a vent between the trap and the 45 closest to it.

Author: m & m (MD)

To answer your question, yes they are allowed, but only in a horizontal configuration. You cannot use them to change elevation. The way they are shown, the air supply to the arm is "choked off" by the fittings.

Edited 1 times.

So in the photo where the arrow is it are the two 45 degrees fittings. Fittings in that location is not to code, correct?

Correct.

Author: packy (MA)

the trap can not be higher than the vent.
if those 45's were not there and the pipe just continued along, stubbed out the wall and you have your trap, that is code compliant.

So I have to assume that the vent stack is secured to the studs or something else that is not going to allow me to slide it up the wall in order to raise the sanitary tee and glue everything back in place. How do I make all the connections at the vent and drain stack once I move the sanitary tee up two inches?

Cut the fitting out first. Then see if there is any vertical movement; there may be, or there may not be. If so, then no problem. If not, then you'll need to use slip couplings or no hubs.

Is a no hub the same as a flexible coupling?

Author: packy (MA)

no-hub coupling...

Edited 1 times.

I want to thank everyone for the help.

I want to thank everyone for the help. I was able to cut away everything and move the stub out up the wall 2 1/2 inches by raising the sanitary tee and shortening the vent stack. I was able to push the vent up the wall just enough to get the fittings glued in place, so I did not have to use a no-hub coupling, although I bought one just in case the vent would not move.

I guess my only concern now would be if there is a maximum height from the floor that the stub out or the sanitary tee can be at. Currently the horizontal 1 1/2 drain pipe is 19 1/2 inches from the floor where it enters the sanitary tee.

Edited 2 times.

Re: I want to thank everyone for the help.
Author: hj (AZ)

You can put it wherever you want to. The only "requirement" should be that it is low enough to make the sink connection.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

19 1/2" should be fine.

Sloppy use of the primer but connections are water tight.

Author: Gogo (PA)

Looks like a 90 ell into wall going to the right. Are horizontal 90's legal or is that two 45's not shown?

Author: steve (CA)

A 90* is legal here, but to me, that doesn't look like a 90*. To me, the trap arm looks to be running out from the wall at an angle towards the left.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

It looks like a 22 or so after the escutcheon. Not sure, but it appears to be outside the wall regardless.

Yes, I believe it is a 22 degree but as pointed out it is outside the wall. Pulled a permit and the city bought off on the work a couple days ago. Got the go ahead to drywall.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.