Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Delta 603 Tub shower No Hot
Author: HawaiiPlumber (HI)

Aloha from Hawaii fellas,
So went to a job today, complaint was a drip on a delta tub shower faucet. When I get there turns out there is no hot flow to the shower at all. Dont know how that mix up happens. Theres no galvanized water piping, JFYI. So I pulled the diverter ball and got to the seats. This valve has check stops on the inlets and has a spool. Had owner turn on water while I controlled flow at stops. Full flow on cold side and not a drip on the hot side. Not a drip. Did not have the parts in the truck and living on a small island these parts need to be brought in. So did not want to pull the stop or the spool until I get them on hand. Just seeing what your guys moneys on. I think if it was the spool it would have some flow or would restrict the cold flow as well. Thinking back on it I should have had him turn off the hot with the valve assembled and back flushed the hot side to see if it was the stop washer that came loose and is blocking the flow. Let me know what you guys think and if you have any tricks for loosening the spool cap. Have not had to do one yet. Most times I would just recommend they change it since the 600s are way outdated. Owner would rather not and Im up for the challange.

Re: Delta 603 Tub shower No Hot
Author: KCRoto (MO)

A delta is warrantied for life, so contact delta for parts. If you remove all the internals, then flush the valve out, you can be sure that both sides are clear and that the problem is in the spool. I wouldn't try to back flush it into the hot line because if it actually works, you have mystery debris that is going to end up back in the same spot or in something else.

Ya I agree. Got the spool and stop on order. Had everything apart except the spool and stops. Tried flushing it but no hot at all with it apart. Just couldnt bring myself to pull the spool and risk tearing up the seals without new ones on hand. Will be flushing the valve once I get the parts and if I can get the spool out. Then we'll see if it was the spool or not. Remember this is a 20year old valve with the stainless ball, seats springs and a pressure balance spool thats screwed into the valve body separately. Its not your ordinary delta 600. Just seeing what you guys would have to say. Maybe some tips on unscrewing that thing. Not many people have probably had to do this in the last 10 or 15 years. Would be good info for the search function on the site.

Author: hj (AZ)

That one probably predates the Delta "lifetime warranty". The spool is stuck to one side which is why it has the hot water shut off. It will probably break when you try to remove it and will have to "pick" the actual spool out if that happens.

Ya hj its an oldy. Called delta and they asked if I had shopped around because they are expensive. I was like Lifetime warranty? Nope predates the lifetime warranty. Ive heard a 5/8 crows foot is the way to go. It probably will break. Im going to let the customer know that the cost of the spool is almost half the cost of a new valve and the time that could go into getting the spool replaced could be comparable to the time it would take to change out the mixer. Its an interior wall with sheetrock backing so its not a big deal to change her out. Part of me wants to rebuild it though because I hate changing out fixtures that can be fixed and everyday is a school day working on old stuff.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.