Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sink drain location - Options for using as is?
Author: J Blow (SD)

I have what I believe is a sink drain coming out of my unfinished basement floor. After a lot of reading I'm pretty sure I know how to plumb it in correctly. The thing is that it's 7 feet from the other wall and I was hoping to make the bathroom a couple feet bigger. I know that drain should be enclosed by the framing and properly attached to the sink but is there any way to reroute it above the concrete in order to move it back a couple feet? Plumbing in front or the front side of the sink likely doesn't make sense. In the end, I'll make a smaller bathroom before I wreck some concrete but I just want to be sure there aren't other options. Thanks!

Re: Sink drain location - Options for using as is?
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

We don't have the same advantage as you... of seeing what you are attempting to explain. A picture might help or have a licensed plumbing in your area, checks it out and advises you of local codes.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

If you are asking can you offset the pipe back to the wall with it above the floor, the answer is "yes you can" but it would be a "dumb idea". It would be a major tripping point.

Yes, I think you are understanding it correctly and this is the answer I expected but hoped wasn't true. Basically, it looks like all proper plumbing comes out of a stud wall and NOT out of the floor - much less out of the floor towards the front of a cabinet.

Replying to the first response, I don't have a picture right at this moment but the pipe goes into the concrete about 2 feet from a basement wall and about 7 feet from the other - in a corner bathroom. I am going to frame up the wall, which seems needs to be 7 feet from the wall across from it, thus making a smaller bathroom than I had hoped. My thought was that If I was somehow able to bring that pipe up and back about 2 feet (that amount count be hidden in the vanity) my entire room would be 2 feet bigger. Actually, I'm sure it could be done but just isn't right.

I guess I will have a 12 x 7 bathroom...bummer.

Not that it probably makes any difference but another way to do it would be to 90 degree it just above the floor and run it back a couple feet almost on the concrete. I have installed an inch and a quarter of rigid foam and osb on the concrete so the actual pipe be less than a half inch above the built up floor level.....ya, I know...still pretty redneck.

With a cabinet you change the dynamics of the question. In that case, assuming the cabinet is deep enough to cover the entire drain line, (few bathroom cabinets are 24" deep inside the toe space), then it can be done.

As long as the pipe is "concealed" so it is NOT a trip hazard, it will work, but normally the cabinet would have to be about 30" from front to back to cover a 24" offset pipe.

[docs.google.com]

So, hearing what's been said, I rethought this a little. The drain is 24 inches from a sidewall that runs perpendicular to the wall I will build to run the vanity along. If I would add a cabinet (so from left to right, cabinet, sink, sink) could I route the line through the base of the cabinet to the exterior wall and then have it turn back into the framed wall so it could come out of that wall like it normally would.

from the front pipe comes up and goes left through base of cabinet that's attached to wall and then right through studs to a 90 degree turn and and back right again through studs going back the other direction.

Edited 1 times.

quote; from the front pipe comes up and goes left through base of cabinet that's attached to wall and then right through studs to a 90 degree turn and and back right again through studs going back the other direction.

That description too confusing to try to figure out what you are trying to do, but it sounds like you are going to have quite a few turns in the pipe.

Ya, I suck at explaining. I tried to draw a pic but the formatting was all messed up when it posted.

Basically, I am wondering if it would be better to have the drain come up in the vanity and go straight back and to the right (looking from the front of vanity) to the 2 sinks (plus vent) or if it would be better to have it wrap around in the framing so it could eventually enter in the back wall like traditional plumbing?

Thanks.

So, option1 - looking from front of vanity, pipe comes up in vanity and runs back about a foot to where it jogs to the right to collect from both sinks.

Option 2 - from front of vanity....pipe comes in front left of vanity and goes left to the wall 2 feet. It then runs back 2 feet in stud wall to the back stud wall of vanity. Then goes right in the stud wall in order to come into the back side of vanity like normal plumbing.

Thanks.

You should be able to do option #1 much like option #2, but without the big "U turn". Somewhere in there you have to install the proper venting.

Thanks

Yes, I will run the vent up between the 2 drains in the wall....after it runs back from the floor. Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Author: HawaiiPlumber (HI)

Does that drain have a cap on it? Does it smell like sewer gas inside the pipe? Make sure it is actually a drain line and not some conduit or a port hole to another universe.

Yes, they all 3 have caps on them. I'll open it up.

I opened up the drain and dumped a quart odd water down it. It all drained without issue and left no standing water. It certainly doesn't have any type of smell but it does have an amount of airflow through that surprised me - changed a little with the wind I think.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

There is positive pressure in the city mains, or negative in your house drawing sewer gas out. If water went down and none is standing, it is an untrapped drain, and fine to use for a lavatory.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.