Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Air is being pumped into my bladder tank from the well pump.
Author: Kenikasr (OR)

Recenty I thought was ready to pull my well up from 300' after changing the pressure switch. There was no problem with my bladder tank. It was either the well was dry or the pump which I put in on about 5 years ago was a 'lemon.' However, before pulling it completely out we were going to drop something doWn the well to determine whether there was water or not before pulling the pump up.

When we lifted the pump line up 4 feet we discovered that because of the torquing that occurred when it pumped, the insulation was peeled back and it burnt the wire causing a break in the wire. Hooray.

After hooking everything back up, I started experiencing strong air pressure escape throughout the house at the faucets. The shaking was so immense that I reasoned that if it kept up the solder on the pipes may crack and I'd really have another bigger problem who knows how long down the road.

So I disconnected the bladder tank from the well pump and put the pressure switch on until the water was present at the connection and closed it. It lasted about 3 days, and again the loud air pressure coming out caused the pipes to shudder. I went down and repeated the previous steps, but this time with my wifes help kept the farthest faucet in the house open until the water came out with out the air. When that happened, I sealed the pipe from the pump to the bladder tank.

So, is there a certain way to bleed the pipe?

I also have a back flow prevention valve right out of the well head, and think something may have gotten wedged to prevent the the valve from holding the water from going back down into the well. During the blasts of water that came out of the pipe, shower,toilet,basin,etc., there was a lot of grime and sediment that muddied the water. But on the second try, SO FAR! there is no pressure build up yet.

My question is whether I am bleeding the line properly, or is it possible that I need to replace the back flow prevention valve which is common sense, or is there someone who experienced the same problem with air and sediment coming through the pipe. I want to know all that I can before pulling up the pump either to check for cracks in the continuous black plastic pipe or whatevers.

I am convinced there is water in my well.

HELP ANYONE?

GOING PUPULE IN OREGON

==

Plbg.com note: ("pupule" in Hawaiian = "crazy"winking smiley

Edited 1 times.

Re: Air is being pumped into my bladder tank from the well pump.
Author: hj (AZ)

Water just "going back down to the pump" will NOT introduce air into the system. BUT, if the pipe from the pump to the tank has leak, then it will suck air, and any thing else in the area into the pipe, and then it will be pushed into the tank when the pump starts.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

if there is a hole from the pump to the pressure tank it will push debris out, not in. the pressure tank will keep pressure pushing out even when the pump is off. If he is getting debris, it is probably from the pump itself. A well going dry will suck up everything and try to pump it; dirt, rocks, grass (if the cover got hit with a riding mower.. just saying) Edit- if the pipe from the pump to the tank had a leak, it would be constantly, or near constant running of the pump as the pressure switch would attempt to keep the pressure up to 40 psi or greater depending on the switch.

Edited 1 times.

If there is a check valve AT the tank, then the water will NOT "push out" of the drop line to the pump, and it WILL suck in whatever is near the hole in the pipe, including air.

Regardless, isolating the water line from the house, shutting off the power to the pump, and putting a gauge on the line will tell you whether there is a hole in the line or whether it is something else.

Assuming there is a functioning check valve on the pump

Since the problem is most likely that the current drought on the west coast is the problem and the well being dry is the most reasonable answer, I was humoring your water line leak theory.

Aloha, KCRoto (MO). A pump man suggested that too, but I still get water with air pressure in the bladder tank so I know theres water in the well. Mahalo

Aloha, hj (AZ). Yes, but somehow overnite the tank drains down, and I have to pump it up.Mahalo

I agree KCRoto (MO). It has come down to pulling the pump out and change everything line, pipe and whatever! Its been too long and I looked at all possible solutions, but I still get air in the water pipes. My friend suggested that perhaps there is a crack along the 1" continuous plastic pipe that is sucking air into the line and pushing it thru to the tank. So this friday I plan to pull everything out and replace it. Mahalo Kenika

Yes, hj (AZ). I plan to pull everyting out and replace with new so I can move on to more enjoyable things. smile Mahalo- Kenika

KCRoto (MO), Aloha, I am not receiving any debris in my water, but what I did find out from a pump man is that I have a 2 stage system. The motor is Franklin, but the pump is from Aqua something. He mentioned that 2 years after it was manufactured the company closed down and the company I bought it from locally closed up too! :-( Talk about abandonment. Anyway I have decided to replace everything from the well head down. I know there is no leakage or suction coming from the line in between the house and well head. Mahalo-Kenika

Mahalo (Thanks)

Yes, hj (AZ). But I am confident there are no leaks between the well head and bladder tank. Mahalo-Kenika

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.