Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how to replace broken main water shut-off valve
Author: MattCarter (NJ)

My main water shut-off valve is broken and in need of replacement.

[picasaweb.google.com]

After I get the water to my house shut off at the street, how would you recommend that I replace the broken valve?

The pipe coming into the house seems to go through:
- a compression fitting (?)
- a 90 elbow with male threads at both ends
- the broken valve
- a nipple
- a compression fitting (?)
- the municipal meter

There seems to be a tamper-proofing wire on the compression fitting nut to the right of the meter, so I don't want to mess with that.
Should I cut the nipple at the right end, then install a new valve and compression-fit elbow?

Thank you very much for your thoughts.

Re: how to replace broken main water shut-off valve
Author: steve (CA)

The elbow on the right of the valve looks like it's a union. Unscrew the nut, unscrew the elbow from the valve and then unscrew the valve from the nipple on the left. Screw on a new valve, reattach the elbow and nut.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Or take the guts out of an identical valve and swap them out.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the 'union' fitting at the meter takes a gasket

the other fitting is a union

I would open BOTH unions and repair/replace the valve 'on the bench'

either:

call the water company and let them know you are replacing the valve

or

call a plumber

or

if you can 'match up' the valve swap out the 'guts'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

that's not a union but it is a flare joint. looks and act just like a union.
anyway you will need a couple of good size pipe wrenches to change the valve. as suggested you can just swap the innards from the identical manufacture's model of valve.
solution number three..
loosen the union at the water meter. don't worry about the wire seal breaking as you are making an emergency repair and the city/town can replace the wire when you are done.
when the union is loose enough, the nipple can be unscrewed from the valve and the valve can then be removed from the elbow. there is a rubber washer inside the union at the meter. when the city/town comes out to shut the water ask them for a couple of new washers in case you need them. i would use a 1/4 turn theaded ball valve rather than the type you now have. you will need some teflon tape, some pipe dope and a little grease for the water meter union. all in all it is a pretty simple job...

smiling smiley

yep, a flare adapter elbow !

my eyes are really old and tired

smiling smiley

Author: hj (AZ)

Your problem is not so much how to get to the valve because you have unions on both sides of it. Your real problem may be finding a new valve the same length as the old one, because that was NOT a proper valve for a main line installation, and you do not have much, if any, leeway for adjustment.

hj,

good 'pick-up'

i saved the pic and 'zoomed in'

DEFINATELY a flow arrow pointing towards meter

the ground wire is a jumper strap across the meter

the valve is on the street side of the meter

juuuust maybe the globe valve has a washer or disc which 'could' be replaced in position

AFTER the water is shut down at the curb stop

brand xxCO in an elongated oval

HOWEVER

I suggest calling the water company for advice

Author: steve (CA)

Kinda looks like the spline/square top of the stem is broken off.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.