Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 is its okay to cement in a Ford fitting?
Author: nimik (NY)

My water supply line (lead) is cracked. I have a ford fitting and have to place it below the cement floor. Should I cement the ford fitting or just fill it in with gravel with gravel?

Re: is its okay to cement in a Ford fitting?
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Your water supply line is (probably) galvanized, concrete will only make the problem harder to fix next week when the pipe gives way. Call a plumber to see what options you have.

edit- I wasn't plumbing before 1986 and have personally never seen a lead water line for supplying water, only in the drain system.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Might be lead also.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; Your water supply line is galvanized

What makes you say that when he specified that it WAS lead, and lead pipe is a lot larger than galvanized?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

That is why I edited my post. The oldest house I ever worked in was built around ~1870, and even it didn't have a lead water service. It doesn't change the fact that I wouldn't cement in the valve, lead or no lead.

Author: hj (AZ)

In Chicago, we were still installing lead services in 1968 when I left the area.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

...hope you rolled the 'goosenecks' to the right as facing the tapping...

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

it's before the water meter in the city brought water in with lead pipes way back then and then she hooks into galvanized then the meter and then we put in copper 40 years ago. All of the ford fitting will be below floor level. then I'm putting in copper to the meter when the galvanized was.

it definitely is lead pipe from the water main on the stream to the house they did that in the Northeast years ago.

thanks KC I didn't see your re-post I'm doing this on my phone and I don't get to see a lot of them till after the fact.

okay you got me the gooseneck but I did consult my friend the plumber yet 30 plus years in the business and just going with what he told me but I couldn't reach him define cementing the fitting over when I'm done. Thanks

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the 'gooseneck' remark was directed at hj

smiling smiley

the 'gooseneck' was a specified loop of lead laid 'clockwise' relative to the threaded cock tapped into the main so that if there were to be any 'settlement' of the building supply it would be absorbed by the 'flexible' lead and/or tighten the cock

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.