Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Want to seal off jets in spa tub-- how?
Author: sarahDM (IN)

Hello, have just moved into new home with --YUCK-- a jet tub which --double yuck-- does not even work. (The motor comes on, nothing happens, there's that nice "engine burning up" odor.) The tub itself is in great shape, brand new tub surround as well, it's marred only by the presence of these idiotic jets, and some kind of box contraption stuck to the side as well. I do not wish to fix the burned up motor, or the jets, I just want to "convert" (as much as possible) to a normal tub without having to pay thousands to rip the whole mess out. FWIW, It's a standard sized tub-shower combo, tub is mfg by Cielo and I only intend to use the shower. I have already gorilla-taped over the Velcro-ed side panel to block out the musty odors wafting up, but am worried that if I use the shower I will get water leaks into the jets (?) and they will get gross and mouldy since they don't work?)...I have found instructions on how to remove the jets-- but do not know what sort of plug or gasket to get to replace them with. (The web is full of DIY vids on removing them for cleaning or replacement purposes only)

Also, I am not sure what the little box does (maybe it makes air? I cannot see anywhere it can be turned on It also appears to be permanently affixed). can that be removed as well and patched somehow? I'm looking for the "make the shower usable for $150 solution" and if all else fails will simply gorilla-tape 6 ml plastic over the whole mess but was hoping for a slightly less trashy-looking solution.

(Cannot stress enough, no interest whatsoever in repairing this thing.)

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!smiling smiley

Re: Want to seal off jets in spa tub-- how?
Author: packy (MA)

it would be more than 150 dollars but a fiberglass repair company could come in and fix any holes left from removed heads.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You just moved into this home..... do you own it or are you renting? If you are renting, there is not much you can do. If you are going to own the house and spa, what you wish is going to be expensive to repair... in order to block those openings.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

Usually, you would need access to the outside of the tub to unfasten the jet fittings, and then get a tub repair company to patch the holes, including the large "suction" fitting. I cannot see anyway this would be 'inexpensive".

Author: KCRoto (MO)

More gorilla tape and you can go with a Dalmation motif

Author: bernabeu (SC)

simply turn off and disconnect the motor

or have it repaired so it works and just don't use the jets

tough love:

you just moved into a new home and can't afford to replace a tub ?

just wait until the furnace or the water heater or the AC goes out - what then ?

? roofing ? main drain stoppage ? refrigerator ?

I would bail now if in similar financial situation

wink

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hi (TX)

unplug the pump motor and apply:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.