Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I could really use some help identifying the basement stub-outs
Author: J Blow (SD)

I've looked at a ton of these...they are all the same but different. So, guesses here? The toilet seems obvious as it's 3". Next, I have a 2' over alone against the wall - shower, right? Finally, there's a wood framed box built around1 1/2" pipe that's lying horizontally in the ground - it's capped, but clearly looks like it attaches to the 1 1/2" pipe that rises right next to it. Would that be a vent or for a sink...or shower? The framed box seems like it would be for a tub or shower but 1 1/2" seems small. Or does it?

The big pipe in the background collects from numerous points upstairs. Would I need to leave that accessible as it looks like it has a place for a cleanout near the bottom?

Re: I could really use some help identifying the basement stub-outs

Author: packy (MA)

toilet drain you have identified.
the 2" vertical next to the wall is a toilet wet vent and a lav drain. it must be extended to a vent stack or thru the roof.
the 1 1/2" horizontal is a tub drain. it is not up to code as the minimum size allowed underground is 2". the 1 1/2" vertical is a dry vent for the tub. it can join the new 2" vent up in the ceiling.

Great, thanks!

Diagonally from the toilet is what I believe is a vent hanging down a foot or some from the floor/ceiling above so tying into that with the other 2 should be simple.

Even though it's not up to code, do you see a problem with using the 1.5 line for a shower as I wasn't planning on having a tub? Also, the big stack against the wall....can that be framed in to be on the back side of a large shower or is that a bad idea? Thanks, again.

Author: packy (MA)

only reason not to hide the main stack would be if there is a cleanout in it. you will need to leave access to it if there is.
it is againt code to use a 1 1/2" drain for a shower. you have a better chance of winning the lottery than a chance of having trouble with the undersized drain..
if you use a big rainfall shower head and have a couple of body sprays as well, you could have a situation of not draining fast enough. if you are using a standard 2.5 GPM showerhead, no problem with the drain keeping up.

Sounds good, thanks. Just a general question here...How common (or uncommon) is it to be able to utilize the stub outs as they sit without moving anything, breaking up concrete, etc.?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

They should be able to be used as intended without any breaking of concrete, that is why they are there in the first place.

Ok. Thanks. They just don't seem located correctly in relation to the wall and other plumbing.

The placement may be due to walls either not being built yet, or walls installed in locations other than what was originally intended.

There aren't any walls. The problem is that things are too close to the wall and then other objects (such as main) are too close to make much sense.

Author: steve (CA)

Post a diagram of the current layout, with dimensions of pipe sizes and spacing between pipes and foundation(if applicable).

There's really only one big concern. If you look at the picture you can see the box in the concrete floor (it's a 1.5" tub drain) is right next to a vent that's in the middle of the floor. It's going to be a shower and I guess I just don't quite have it in my mind how I can use the vent where it is and have a drain in a shower. I was hoping the shower would be quite large - thinking 32x48 or 60. Also, the stack next to the wall will need to have access for the cleanout so that's another issue.

[drive.google.com]

This should link to the whole picture that shows all 3 areas. You'll see the location of teh vent and box.

Author: steve (CA)

Did you lay out the 2x4s on the floor or were they there from the previous owner?

Is the 2" pipe trapped? It looks like it is meant to be a lavatory sink to me, just by the layout, not by pipe size. Pour a quart of water in it and shine a flashlight down there. see if water is standing when you do. If it is clear, it isn't a shower drain, if it holds water, then it is.

I laid the 2x4s down.

The corner pipe is 3". To the left of that is the box in floor (picture below) with a 1.5" pipe in floor and then what others have identified as a vent right next to it. The other pipe on kitty corner from the floor box is a 2" pipe that I would assume is for a sink?

[drive.google.com]

Edited 1 times.

that is what it looks like to me, but you need to make sure it isn't trapped before plumbing into it

Will do. Wouldn't it be very odd to have the tub box in the floor and then a shower drain across the way, though? Or if it is a shower drain, what the heck would the box in the floor be?

I have a cousin that has a whirlpool tub and a shower in his master bathroom. They wanted a walk in shower, and his wife wanted a tub to soak in; so odd? not really. Someone on here used the phrase cubic dollars once to describe what it takes to do plumbing. With enough boxfuls of money you can do a lot.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.