Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 NEW water heater, still having lukewarm water
Author: mrajya3 (CA)

Hey guys,

for a couple days, my old AO smith 5 year old 40 gallon gas water heater was producing lukewarm warm water. I though it was the pilot so I ensured it was lit. It produced hot water for one more day until it started to alternate between hot and cold water randomly.

I called a highly rated plumber who said it is likely the gas control valve and it was not worth replacing/repairing. He suggested replacing the water heater. After an experience with another plumber who did not understand the basics of a water heater, I decided to take this guy's word for it as he was reputable.

Now I have a NEW 40 gallon rheem gas heater and still am having same symptoms. Some times lukewarm water, sometimes hot. This is in the entire condo (both bathrooms and kitchen). Temperature is not related to a certain time during the day. The gas control dial is set to the highest temperature. Both the inlet pipe of water heater and the outlet pipe of water heater feel very hot to touch... is this normal?

Any ideas what it could be? Thank you.

Re: NEW water heater, still having lukewarm water
Author: steve (CA)

Do you have in-ground piping?

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Without being there, it sounds like you have a problem with water crossing over somewhere. A bad check valve in a hot water recirculator possibly. Is the problem present with every fixture that uses hot water? If this is only happening in a shower, I would suspect that it is a pressure balancing cartridge, or thermostatic cartridge that has failed. If this was a restaurant I would check for mop sink that has had something added, but I have a feeling that your culprit is a shower valve, as most people don't have hot water recirculators.

Author: hj (AZ)

The first thing I would do, and would have done before replacing the water heater, would have been to verify that there is not a cracked hot water line under the floor where all the hot water is going. Other than that, we would have to be there to diagnose the problem if it is some quirk in your system.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.