Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How to get my riser/p-trap straight!
Author: Bobrob33 (KY)

Please help me figure out how to get my riser/p-trap straight.

So, I am remodeling my shower (using the kerdi kit) and I'm having the hardest time ever getting this p-trap/riser plumb. I feel like an @#$%&. I had to rebuild the p-trap for whatever reason, and to my dismay, the damn thing didn't come out straight. Here's an album of images that shows whats going on. [imgur.com]

The third image (which is after I'd removed everything out of pure rage) shows my main problem: the pipe comes out of the joist at an angle, which I'm assuming is for drainage purposes, but since it comes out like this, even with the built in slope in the PVC, the riser doesn't come out straight. It *looks* like it's straight, as you can see in picture 1, but picture 2 shows that it's not *really* straight. I need it to be straight enough that it rests on the foam inserts, since i'm using a kerdi foam try. I strapped it down and everything.

What can I do to remedy this? I just dont see any way. I'm hoping I'll have enough room to add a coupling in before the p-trap, because if not, I'll have to start before the pipe comes in through the joist

Please help me! I'm gonna post this everywhere I can think of, haha.

I'm going to give it one last shot.

Thanks!

Edited 2 times.

Re: How to get my riser/p-trap straight!
Author: m & m (MD)

Since we don't get the whole view, we can not see your space restrictions, etc. which may influence our answers. But the way to normally overcome the 'pitch factor' is to install a 45/22/60 right before the trap and 'roll' it to level position. That makes for a 'flat' trap.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

That existing 90* looks to be rolled too much, giving the new piping more pitch than needed. Can you cut the existing pipe, that's parallel with the joist, and roll the 90* at a flatter angle? Is the hole in the joist, big enough to allow the new pipe to drop down, if the 90* is rolled?

Edited 1 times.

Author: HelpMePlumb (FL)

Cut it back behind that joist, make up and dry fit your pieces to where you need the trap to end up, mark everything then glue it up. Done

Author: Bobrob33 (KY)

Here's a zoomed out view, if it makes a difference: [i.imgur.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

PVC joints are somewhat "flexible" while the glue is wet. I would have to be there to see which option is best, i.e., whether there is enough movement in the riser to make it vertical, cutting the pipe and installing a coupling to level the trap, or cutting off the elbow and installing a new one with less angle, being some of the possibilities.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.