Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Hammer DURING toilet fill after valve replacement
Author: oneoverzero (NY)

I just finished replacing a 10-15 year old ballcock-style toliet fill kit with a new Fluidmaster 400AKR complete repair kit. I have used this kit in 2 other bathrooms in the same house with no problems at all. This time, however, I noticed strong water hammer DURING toliet fill (not at the time of valve cutoff). Reducing incoming water velocity at the toliet supply has stopped the hammer but the toliet tank fill time is unacceptibly slow (3-5 minutes on a low-flow toliet).

I have owned this house since construction in 1999 and have never had water hammer issues of any kind prior to today's events. I am on city water and to the best of my knowledge, my main supply line pressure regular is working as intended. I am familiar with water hammer when a valve closes abruptly, but have never heard of it occuring during fill.

Any advice is appreciated!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water Hammer DURING toilet fill after valve replacement
Author: KCRoto (MO)

Water hammer occurs when the flow stops, not while it is moving. The noise is probably a loose washer(or broken piece of one) in your supply stop. It can vibrate and make a lot of noise.

Author: oneoverzero (NY)

KCRoto, thanks for the reply. I have a couple of follow up questions regarding your answer.

(1) What is the likelihood of the fill valve intermittantly opening and closing (chattering) during fill, creating a water hammer effect? I have watched the flow into the tank and believe it to be streamlined (laminar) during fill so I don't have any evidence this is happening, I am just searching for another cause before tackling the next issue...

(2) I assume that to replace my toliet supply stop, I will need to turn water off at my house main. Can you confirm that this is typically the case, or is there typically an intermediate shutoff valve elsewhere? I ask because my basement is finished and the house supply valve is in a difficult-to-reach area that will require some effort to get to; I might be able to get to an intermediate valvle easier than the house supply valve.

Thanks for the help and advice!

Author: KCRoto (MO)

Depending on your area and how it is plumbed, you may have a curb stop, a stop at the water meter, and an entrance valve into the house, and possibly a second valve after the entrance valve. It is worth the effort to find your main water shutoff in case of emergencies anyhow. Usually, the water in urban residential homes enters through the front of the house, and there is almost always a hose spigot directly above it. If I walked to your front door and needed to shut off the water and your basement was finished, I would look for an access panel or closet built in that area if I could see nothing else. The chances of of another whole house shutoff valve are slim, but you could start at the cold side of the water heater and work backwards. If you find a valve in the line that is somewhere before the water heater, you can shut it off and try it; you could get lucky, but don't hold your breath. As a side note, I recommend changing more than just the toilet stop if you are doing it, and replace all the toilet stops with 90 degree turn angle/straight stops as appropriate.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

I ask because my basement is finished and the house supply valve is in a difficult-to-reach area that will require some effort to get to;.....

You need to correct this issue ASAP - you may need access QUICKLY one day !

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.