Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Kohler toilet flushes every other flush
Author: blakekr (ME)

I have a Kohler 4524 toilet that only flushes every other flush. It seems to want to be a water-saving device because the inside is partly filled with styrofoam that seems part of the original design. Right now it has a floating-cup fill valve that doesn't seem high enough. The water doesn't reach the "water line" level with this fill valve and you cannot adjust it any higher using the metal clip. Apparently the water line on this toilet is absolutely critical because if I fill the tank manually, even though it's only about an inch higher, it seems to solve the problem.

Is there another way to adjust this kind of fill valve than the metal clip, and if not, is there a taller one that can be found at a big box store? Or anything special I should be looking for?

There is also an issue with the flapper on this toilet in that it closes immediately although the chain is not very loose, so you have to hold the handle throughout the flush for it to work at all. It seems like I need to find a flapper that is rated for this particular toilet for this to work? Would appreciate any thoughts on this "new to me" toilet in my newly-purchased house.

Re: Kohler toilet flushes every other flush
Author: packy (MA)

you can adjust the overall height of that fill valve.
down near the bottom there is a sliding ring that locks the valve from being extended.
shut off the water, slide that ring up and raise the center of the fill valve. slide the ring back to lock it and turn the water back on..
the Styrofoam is to keep the toilet from sweating in the winter.
[www.fluidmaster.com]

Re: Kohler toilet flushes every other flush
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Turn the water off...then flush the toilet, to relieve the pressure.

Thank you smile
Author: blakekr (ME)

Thank you Packy, that was incredibly helpful. I was able to raise the fill valve and that solved the intermittent flushing problem perfectly.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.