Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Price Pfister Stem Nut question
Author: worriedkchomeowner (MO)

See the brass nut in the middle? Well I bought a Made In China replacement kit for my bathtub/shower that comes with all the parts for a Price Pfister Verve style I believe.

I didn't pay much attention to this nut in question.

1. Should it be snugged down tight after I tighten the stem into the wall?
2. Does this nut need any teflon tape?

(Didn't use teflon in the wall)

Thanks.

Re: Price Pfister Stem Nut question
Author: m & m (MD)

That is the packing nut and its job is to eliminate oozing around the stem shaft when the faucet is in the 'on' position. Tighten it snug, not too tight and not too loose. No need to remove it.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

after you replace your stem, before putting the escutcheons back on, turn your water on and make sure that everything is leak free. if the packing nut isn't leaking, I wouldn't tighten it down any further unless you like having stiff handles for the tub/shower. In time you will(or should) remove the handles and trim and tighten the packing nuts on both the hot and cold, failure to do so will allow water to leak behind the trim, and hopefully down the shower wall and not behind into the joist space, but I have seen it happen. Generally speaking, if you make sure they are snug once a year or so you should be fine. When they get to the point that they won't tighten anymore, you will have to repack them. It is simple, painless, and quick, but shouldn't be required for years. As a side note, most time Pf stems don't actually need replaced, generally they just need a new washer on the end, and a new screw every few years. The parts cost literally pennies and can be purchased within 2 miles of your house if you live in the brookside area like I suspect from your main water valve.

Author: packy (MA)

if you want, remove the nut, put a dab of silicone grease or plumbers grease in the opening and put the nut back. install the stem but before putting all the trim back put the handle on, tighten the packing nut until the handle feels firm when turning . you will be fine..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

" If it ain't broke...........

Author: hj (AZ)

You ONLY tighten it enough to keep it from leaking when the water is turned on. NO TAPE ANYWHERE.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.