Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Connecting water hose to washing machine
Author: dgodom (GA)

I am trying to hook up my washing machine and everything went fine until I got to the hot water connection. It seems the hose doesn't want to fit down over the plastic threads, but even when I managed to take pliers and get it tightened down much further than the cold water, it still leaks some. A friend I called says chances are I have stripped the threads, but I don't see how that could have been the initial problem. The hose is the one that looks like it has very shallow threads and only a couple of them, but when I had the hoses on the wrong connection (I couldn't see), it did not leak. That leads me to think if my problem is stripped threads, it must be on the washing machine itself. If so, what do I do about it? Also, the plastic tube with the threads on the machine looks like it was something that would have been placed over the original metal connection. Is that just how they look or is it possible the original connection is under the plastic and it too had stripped threads? Not that that matters I guess.
What can I do? I just bought this washer when I moved and I don't have the money to buy another washing machine or spend a ton on tools and parts. Please help me...

Edited 1 times.

Re: Connecting water hose to washing machine
Author: hj (AZ)

The threads are probably NOT stripped, but rather you have "cross threaded" the connection which is very easy to do with the plastic threads on the valve. Just unscrew the hose and carefully line the hose up and reattach it. IF you have it correct it will screw on all the way by hand. If you need pliers then it is still wrong so take it apart and try again.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you HJ. I have taken this hose off and put it back on at least 4 or 5 times. You think if I keep at it I will get it right? Also, on both hoses, it looks like they are pushing the threads down but not actually screwing over them. But the other hose does not leak so I guess that is an illusion.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

If you have cross-threaded the plastic male threads, then each time you reattach the hose, it is following the same wrong track. To correct it, you will have to very carefully attach the hose holding it in perfect alignment and then "rethread" the plastic male thread as you tighten the hose end with pliers. Not a job for the faint-hearted but it can be done; either that, or purchase a new solenoid valve. (We have all cross-threaded a washer valve at one time or another and swore that it would be the first and last time.)

Edited 2 times.

Thank you kissing

Thank you, that makes perfect sense. All of this made easier of course by the fact that I am leaning over the machine in a 6" crack between it and the dryer. Sounds like it may be time to use all that hose length I could see no purpose for! I'm going in, wish me luck!

Edited 2 times.

Re: Thank you kissing
Author: WC (VA)

Your post above is the way to go. Out in the open you will see AND feel how the hose correctly fits

Also after all of the previous attempts -- make sure you STILL have the rubber washer/gasket inside the hose connection -- that it has not fallen out.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.