Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is there a trick to cutting PVC square?
Author: Bobrob33 (KY)

I'm trying to cut 2" pvc square and it's honestly just maddening. I cant do it! I've used a pvc hand saw, a hacksaw, a pvc cutter, NONE give me straight cuts. I don't own a miter saw but do own a circular saw. Any advice here? Thanks!

Re: Is there a trick to cutting PVC square?
Author: m & m (MD)

14" chop saw/abrasive blade will do a beautiful job. A sawzall with a 18 tpi sharp blade will do very nicely too.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Agree, a chop/miter saw is hard to beat. I too, had trouble using hack saws. I got a PVC saw and use it ONLY for PVC. It works better for me. (A tip o'the hat to HJ! smiling smiley )

Author: hj (AZ)

The trick to a "straight cut" is a saw with a wide blade, NOT a hacksaw. For a square cut, you either need a guide or a good eye.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

A chop saw works well, but a blade for general cutting or finish work works fine too. I haven't tried an abrasive blade, but I can imagine the smell.

Besides the fact that it would "melt" its way through the pipe, leaving globs of solidified plastic.

Author: sum (FL)

Sometimes the situations dictate the tool needed. When I use a sawzall or a cable saw to cut an existing PVC in ground or behind walls and I wanted to make sure I hit on the mark and it be square, I tighten a hose clamp around the pipe, it acts as a guide and works well for me.

Author: Bobrob33 (KY)

I give up. This is literally the dumbest thing to get stuck on. I'm just gonna buy a miter saw. It's like I have some curse! My whole project is at a standstill because i CANNOT get a few pieces of pipe cut straight. Good grief; I think I'm slow...

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

No melt, no globs. But it is a little dusty. As for ABS, I can only imagine that it would glob up.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

to tell the truth, i used to cut balogna at the local supermarket. all the training helped a lot to learn to cut straight.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Me too!....But I found it difficult connecting all those tiny slices of pvc.

I cut swiss cheese on 45 degree angles to maximize the surface area.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

I sometimes find that if the cut starts running toward the liquor store, I need to "twist" the saw to make it run back towards the beauty shop. smiling smiley

When I cut bologna at the meat market, I used a slicer.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

for a 'couple of cuts' use an old fashioned cross cut wood saw

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

I use samauri swords, one handed swing cut and its square.

You are not "left handed" are you?

we held the left handers in reserve for the left hand threads sometimes used in gas work

left/right coupling and left/right nipple = NO UNION REQUIRED

I still have some dies, chrome plated as souveniers

We just buy a left/right coupling and nipple. In the old days, some power drives would open the chuck when operated in reverse, so they could not cut left hand threads.

Edited 1 times.

in the REALLY olden times we used 'armstrong' stocks by hand

thank god for electricity and the motor it can operate

yep, I'm just about that old

feel like it anyway

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.