Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sprinkler Valve Oddity
Author: Rick Laser (CA)

I know most of the stuff discussed on this forum is indoor plumbing related, but I'm pretty sure some of you deal with sprinkler plumbing issues.

The other night our sprinkler controller box timer in the garage turned on the sprinkler to one of the regions in my yard as usual. The problem is, the valve didn't shut off. I had to turn it off manually at the solenoid valve outside in the yard. Obviously there is an electrical connection to that valve from the controller box as it went on. Any idea why it wouldn't go off automatically? Maybe the valve diaphragm failed during the turn on part?

Thanks.

Re: Sprinkler Valve Oddity
Author: steve (CA)

When the timer energizes the solenoid, a piston in the solenoid opens a small port, that bleeds off water from the topside of the diaphragm. The incoming water pressure is then greater on the underside of the diaphragm and the diaphragm raises to allow water to flow through. If there is no electricity going to the solenoid, then there could be a stuck piston or debris caught in the piston seat, preventing the bleed water from shutting off. I would unscrew the solenoid, turn the water on and try and flush out any debris. If this doesn't work and you have another similar valve, try swapping solenoids and see if the problem follows the solenoid or valve housing.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I agree. Debris in the solenoid. Solenoids usually default, closed.

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

The controller turns the valve and and allows it to turn off, but the actual shut down mechanism is in the valve so it if did not shut off, SOMETHING, not necessarily the diaphragm, failed.

Author: hj (AZ)

much more common is a split diaphragm or cracked "relief valve" on the diaphragm.

Thanks to all. big grin
Author: Rick Laser (CA)

Thanks to all.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.