Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Should I replace main shut off? Also slow leak. Pictures included.
Author: worriedkchomeowner (MO)

On Friday, I turned off my main shut off valve 4 times to do some bathroom repairs. It had probably been 4 years since I last had to shut off the water. It's an old style shut off--not the ball type. Anyway, I went to check it the next morning and noticed a super slow leak coming out of the shut off stem. This leak is equal to about 6 drops of water in a 24 hour period. I have not yet tried to tighten the packing nut as I'm afraid of making the slow leak worse.

Based on these photos, and the surrounding corrosion, should I just have the shut off and the regulator? replaced? The biggest problem for me is that I have no idea where the outside/utility shut off is? There's a sewer manhole size cover in the sidewalk for the sewer, but no little 4 inch curb side shut off like some of my neighbors have. There's also a fire hydrant with a 10"? water cover plate next to it, but that's diagonal from my water line. Anyway, my hope is that the plumber and/or water utility could find it if things should be replaced. (Like, see that hex gold cap, to me that looks like it's about to blow, etc)

Thanks!

Here are the photos:

Re: Should I replace main shut off? Also slow leak. Pictures included.
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Try to 'snug down' the packing gland (no more than 1/2 turn).

Close the valve all the way.

Drain down using the waste port (the little screw-on cap) with an upstairs faucet open.

If the valve holds 100% it can be repacked w/o any further shut-down.

If not, close the supply cock at the meter inlet.

Just remove handle and packing nut (including gland if any).

Wrap a few turns of 1/16' 'teflon' packing (you can make same by 'twisting' a long piece of flat 'teflon' tape into a 'rope').

Reassemble valve.

DONE

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

Your last picture shows the valve the plumber will use to turn off the water to replace the valve. That is a "stop/globe" valve and was never meant, or approved, to be used for a main shut off valve. If you replace it, that would be the time to replace the regulator also, because they have a finite life and yours may have exceeded it.

Author: worriedkchomeowner (MO)

That supply cock at the meter inlet... aren't those the ones that I've read about that aren't supposed to be turned due to age and possible breakage. Thanks.

Author: hj (AZ)

YOU probably should not turn it, but a plumber should not have any problem with it.

Author: KCRoto (MO)

I recognized that valve setup then came at looked at your name. I used to be a Kc plumber and have faced your nightmare before. my personal suggestion is to call the water department and have them find your curb stop and shut down your water. Once you do that, replace your main shutoff with a new ball valve. As for your prv, you really have 2 options: replace it now, or wait for a disaster. I suspect the prv isn't working properly anyhow, as the water is so hard there that they tend to calcify and stop working.
In all reality, the parts won't cost you much at all. If something finally gives up and starts flooding, the damage will cost you far more to repair.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.