Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Old house plumbing slow/stopped drain
Author: Mikre1966 (NY)

I have a house built in 1916 connected to the Town sewer lines.
Mixed piping is in the house, iron/copper/pvc including some repairs to water lines using pex/sharkbite.
The issue is that for the kitchen sink and half bath on the first floor (same side of the house (right side when looked at from street) are running slow (toilet takes several flushes to clear the boawl, the sink will take several mins to drain out). The upstairs bathroom is fine and there is a vent pipe for each side of the house.

We have had the Town come snake the laterals outside the house,I have checked the pipes from the kitchen sink and know they are clear (have used 50' 1/2 snakes extended to their ends and met no resistances/brought anything back out as far as debris), we have used a snake in the roof vent for this side of the house and it appears to be clear.

Now other than a plumber, what would cause this to happen that I can take care of?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Old house plumbing slow/stopped drain
Author: hj (AZ)

The problems with the sink and toilet could have completely different causes. We do not have enough information to decide if you have a main line problem or a clogged sink drain and a malfunctioning toilet.

Ok what further info is required? I will be glad to provide whart I can...

I have opened the y trap under the kitchen sink and snaked down the kitchen pipe, even cutting the pipe in the basement where the snake would not go past the 90 degree turn and respliced it after rolling marbles down from the sink. I snaked it down further from the cut towards the exit pipe out of the house (a tie in for the laundry hook up is also clear at this location). From the laundry/Utility sink tie-in I ran 50' of snake out and again ran into no resistance/debris. 50' feet of snake should pretty much get out of the house I would think.

Author: hj (AZ)

It should, but until I did it, I would not answer whether it was or not. There are many conditions which can cause your symptoms. One thing I would have to see is HOW the toilet flushes, even though you have to do it several times.

The toilet will flush but if there are solids it does take several flushes before it might all go down. The spiral happens still but near the end it doesnt get to the full vortex if that description helps? When it finally gets rid of everything it does have that vortex.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A camera will comfirm your theory. Hoping that after almost 100 years you don't have some build up in the ID of your waste lines.
Best Wishes

Ok so while I appreciate the fact people replied, it isn't making sense to me. Why is it that one side of the house has waste pipes that work ok, but the other doesn't? Why/how would this only affect 1 side of the house? BOTH sides should have the same issue but they don't. A house only has 1 main pipe out correct? (I really have no idea here but it seems logical), so I guess I do not get the fact that it HAS to come to a plumber with a camera.
Why can't there be some sort of idea that doesn't force me to pay their fees. I have really done quite a bit of troubleshooting but it seems there is something I am missing in my meager knowledge.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.