Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rust/PEX (Need Help!)
Author: dbrowniefl (FL)

We renovated a 70'S home in 2008 and redid all the plumbing with PEX. Since then, I've had rusty water stains in my showers and tubs and had contacted the City, they tested the water and no issues. Finally this past weekend, my shower head fell off the wall. In looking at the pipe, it looks to be a piece of galvanized pipe. I went back and looked at the pictures I took of the plumbing before it was covered up, and sure enough, the plumber used what looks to be 5-6" sections of galvanized pipe that runs to the shower heads. In some baths, it looks like copper piping connected to the galvanized, but in the bath where the shower head fell off, it is PEX to galvanized. I've contacted the plumber that installed it (he won't call back) and the local plumbing distributor as well as calling local plumbers and NOONE has ever heard of rusting with PEX plumbing. (Even though there is a class action suit). I don't think I have the flawed connectors, but reading your posts makes me wonder about the galvanized. I have pictures I can send it you can help.

Thank you

Re: Rust/PEX (Need Help!)
Author: Paul48 (CT)

In 6 yrs it fell off the wall? Probably not even galvanized. Sounds more like black pipe.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

installed by a shoemaker not an actual plumber

either:

fix the errors yourself

or

hire a REAL licensed bonded insured plumber

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: dbrowniefl (FL)

Ahhh, my e-mail was misleading. When I said "we", I did not mean this was a DIY renovation. We hired a fully licensed insured plumbing contractor to do the work. I tried contacting them about this issue, but since the message was, "my pipes are corroding and my shower head fell off the wall", they have not returned my call.

Since I posted this, I had an electrician come today and he thinks our home may not be properly grounded. The pipe connected to the PEX is most certainly galvanized.

Since it should take an electrician about 2 minutes to be absolutely certain whether or not a house is grounded properly, I wouldn't call him back either.

Author: hj (AZ)

What does grounding have to do with a house with PEX water piping? Rust comes from steel pipes and if there are portions of galvanized piping in your system that is where the rust is coming from, but again, it has NOTHING to do with your electrical wiring.

hj...Are you saying, it is definately not the "Flux Capacitor"? They have those kind of problems in FL.

personally, I believe it is the fault of the DC transformer's lack of skying

No, Marty tested the flux capacitor and it is working perfectly, although it might malfunction if it is taken out of the DMC.

quote; it is the fault of the DC transformer's lack of skying

That is very possible, since transformers only work with AC power.

In a rooming house in St. Mary, West Virginia we had a drunk electrician going for 1/2 an hour explaining how a DC transformer worked.

We told him it could not work because it was not skyed (as opposed to grounded).

After he sobered up he left the house and quit the job site in embarrassment.

Oh, the good old days 'travelling' WERE fun.

To me the best part about traveling into another local's territory was going through everyone on the bench, until they gave up and left us alone.

Author: mjb1962853 (NY)

Home built in 1970's?

Depending on the local water conditions, galvanized pipes can easily rust to failure (either no-flow or leaks) in 30 years.

I'd bet your plumber left some original galvanized pieces in place while running new PEX to everything else. He is realizing he should have changed those few galvanized pieces and does not want to admit his job was less than perfect. Probably why he is not willing to return your call.

Since most of your piping is now PEX, there is no "electrical" reason (connection) for those galvanized pipe sections to rust faster than normal. Your house may not be correctly grounded, but that is a separate issue.

Disclaimer: I'm NOT a plumber, but have replaced lots of old/bad galvanized pipe (with copper) over the last 30 years.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.