Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Drain for washer 6' above washing machine
Author: craziecook (MA)

Hi here is my problem. My house is almost 100 years old I am almost sure that my washer and dryer were originally on the 1st floor. I recently replaced my washer which is now in the basement. I have a flex hose that runs up the wall and dumps into a straight pipe located in the floor joists above the washing machine. There is no floor drain or overflow or any way to connect an overflow pipe as there is a large pipe that carries all waste out of the house. Can I convert the flex hose to all pvc and tie into the main drain above and put in a check valve how can I connect pvc to the back of the washer, one of the screw in type of drain hoses.

Re: Drain for washer 6' above washing machine
Author: bernabeu (SC)

Since you are in MA you call a LICENSED BONDED INSURED plumber in order to maintain your and the public's health and safety.

ps. regardless of code and law you can NOT directly connect to your sewer pipe with or without a check valve - you MUST have a properly vented trap and 'standpipe'

unless you wish to flood your home with sewage and sewer gasses

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; unless you wish to flood your home with sewage and sewer gasses

If the washer is connected directly to the system it will not "immediately" "flood the home with sewage" but will after the washing machine overflows with it long enough. There is no "good" way to discharge the washer into a high sewer line, because there is not usually room enough for a high standpipe, and a low one will allow backflow and flooding sooner.

I thought I said that.

smiling smiley

Author: hj (AZ)

You did not specify HOW the flood would occur, but as a matter of course, no matter how the washer is connected to an overhead line, if there is a stoppage it can cause a flood whether out of the short open standpipe, or out of the washer if it is connected directly. And if a check valve sticks that can cause it also.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

bernabeu.....You can improve your score, by describing the contents of the flood....Ummmm...Nevermind smiling smiley

the precise contents would vary with the diet(s) previously consumed

Author: iplumb (MA)

No need to be bonded..just call a local plumber

Preferably someone with an american name and years of experience

Best wishes

- - - - - - -

Violating Massachusetts plumbing regulations by performing plumbing without a license is subject to a fine of up to $2,500.00 and YOU can be made to rip out everything you have done.

Massachusetts,where together we cant

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.