Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 JB Weld Long term Solution
Author: kelchenk (OH)

I am in the process of finishing my basement which required me to move my main 3" PVC sewer line from the center of my basement to run along a support beam. I got everything moved well enough and while keeping the same amount of fall. When I went to test to make sure all my fittings didnt leak, I had two problem areas. Both are small leaks, one drips a little faster then the other. I was worried about the one due to the tight fit and had to shorted the PVC pipe to fit. Rather than cutting this section out and replacing, I used JB Weld epoxy on the fittings (recommended by hardware store). As of this morning everything seems to be working properly with no leaks. My question is 1) are you familiar with this product and 2) is this a viable long term solution or should I just go ahead and cut it out to redo this section? Trying to avoid future paranoia when I got to hang drywall.

Re: JB Weld Long term Solution
Author: packy (MA)

as a professional plumber, I would not repair a leak with epoxy if it was possible to remove and replace a section..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'd consider it a temporary repair, at best.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Temporary Fixes are just that.... temporary. Hardware store has nothing to lose by offering the advice but everything to gain by selling you a product. Do you have to pull a permit for doing that kind of work in your community.
I hope you have consider a more permanent resolve before you close up any additional walls. Some plumbing work should be done by professional.

Best Wishes

Author: Homerepair (TX)

I think if you apply JB Weld correctly, then it can be a long term solution.

Now, for what you are doing and what I have done, then it is a temporary solution by the professionals but it will likely work and you will save a ton of money.

People have used it on Engine blocks. I used it on my Trans Am radiator that was leaking on the plastic part of the radiator. You do have to sand it to get it to bond and you may have to apply several coats to add strength. I used it and it fixed my radiator for years and I was not aware of it ever failing. It saved me $300 by not having to get new plastic stamped onto a refurbed radiator.

JB Weld is great stuff but in my opinion, it is more of a Mickey Mouse fix since I use it to fix something rather than replacing it. I also had a friend with their brake light bar cracked and hanging down under their spoiler. He had duct tape holding it up but I unscrewed it and fixed it.

I would apply some more coats to your repair job. You have to sand areas where you apply it or it could come loose.

Good luck to you!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Does that sound like reasonable comparisons to you? Compared to a pipe over head,"possibly" filled with human waste?

Not a JB Welder smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Author: sum (FL)

I think JB Weld could be a temp solution if applied properly.

However, reading the OP's descriptions, especially the "...had to cut pipe shorter to fit..." lead me to believe he did not bottom out his pipe inside the fitting, then he simply used JB Weld around the seam of the pipe and fitting, forming a skinny ring of JBW. That's kind of like a caulk job. I would worry it would fail if there is any movement, and if its going to be behind walls.

If it were me I would fix it. He just need to use a repair coupling, or shielded couplings, to give him the room he needs remake that joint.

Not a plumber just a diyer.

Thanks for all the input. smile
Author: kelchenk (OH)

Thanks for all the input. I have decided based on the feedback received that the added cost to fix correctly will go along way for piece of mind. Will be cutting this section back out tonight and doing the proper repair job.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.