Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Crooked Toilet Closet Flang on Upstairs Wood SubFloors
Author: Homerepair (TX)

Homeowner here. Need some help here. We have a very small leak in the ceiling above the refrigerator and I had roto router come out to get an estimate. They thought it was the toilet. Quoted $600 for a replacement toilet and the guy told me that was discounted.

I went over to Home Depot to check out the toilets and I was told that anyone could install a toilet unless you were a little old lady. So I bought a Delta toilet and took off the old toilet. Here's what I found:

1) The wax ring looked good but I noticed some rust on the vinyl flooring under the toilet.
2) Took off the wax ring and the red metal flang was rusting, not real bad but had some rust.
3) It looks like the wood (glued together pressboard stuff) maybe got wet on the left side.
4) We previously had carpet and an unemployee Engineer who needed work did the vinyl flooring and putting the toilet back on. I am not starting to regret not getting a flooring person to do this but I don't know yet.
5) I noticed that there were only three screws holding the metal flang down and none on the top since it looks like the homebuilder contractor cut the hole in the wood flooring for the toilet sewer pipe.

So I bought a stainless steel cover flang that goes over the existing flag. I tightened down the three screws and I noticed the side without enought wood flooring to screw down on was much higher. Now, I think maybe since carpet was there before that it fit better but I don't know.

I'm at a real loss and it sounds like I could screw it down, put the wax ring on and be fine but I'm worried that the same leak will show up and probably was the result of non-professional doing it in the first place or the homebuilder did subpar work.

It sounds like I should maybe cut out part of the work floor and that would solve the problem of it not fitting correctly. But then the pipe needs to get cut out and replaced with a new flang and I'm no plumber and the last thing I want happening is a major sewage leak downstairs.

I noticed lots of professionals on here from a crooked flang in concrete post so I'm asking for some opinions of what everyone things.

I want to minimize how much I spend but I also want to fix this thing right.

What should I do and how much can I expect to spend?

Thanks.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Crooked Toilet Closet Flang on Upstairs Wood SubFloors
Author: packy (MA)

the ring needs to be stainless as the rusted ring will continue to rust until it gives way. the ring needs to be firmly secured to some sort of wood blocking if there is no plywood under it.
why did you buy a delta toilet??? very low quality...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct

stainless flange or plastic flange

the back (bottom) of flange must be ON TOP OF finished floor and bolted THROUGH the finished floor to the subfloor

the 'horn' outlet of the toilet fits slightly INTO the flange if properly installed

the wax 'squishes' down very thin

maybe a 1 hour max job for an actual plumber - 'fix' and install (based solely upon your info)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

I notice that you, and the other responses do NOT mention that you have to seal between the new and old flange or you will create a possible leak. From what you have written, I doubt that you even need the second flange, and using it could raise the flange height enough to also create a leak.

Thanks everyone. So it sounds like I need to have a plumber cut out the old flang and pipe (Home Depot has one that looks like it for $11.) since it will continue to leak since it is not flush.

I guess the Home Builder contractor did shotty work and did not make it level from the start since they did not bother to screw down the top of the flang since the whole around it was too big on the top. Adding the stainless top is a bad idea since the metal one will continue to rust. It looks like they glued the flang and pipe (one piece I think) to the sewer pipe so it looks like it needs to be cutout. I probably should have the flooring cutout as well. Any idea what this would cost?

I bought a Delta toilet since they were good with my faucets and will replace anything I need for lifetime. I already took the toilet out of the box and it looked pretty good and has a five year warranty on parts. Should have I bought a different toilet? I thought about the kohler one and I figured the Home Depot house brand glacier bay was cheap since it was only $100.

Thanks for the responses so far.

Edited 1 times.

no no no

do NOT cut out the flooring

let the plumber if necessary

the new flange will rest ON TOP of the flooring

Thanks Bern.

I believe that my builder did not make the close flang to code since you cannot screw any screws in on the top of where the flang lays and the flang seems crooked. I can put my finger on the one side and it should be flush.

Do I have any recourse on the building since the toilet ended up leaking and I have to fix the ceiling too? They are still building and a reputable builder. House built in 2001.

Thanks.

You are free to ask the builder if he would correct the issue with the flange.

Tell him you understand 'sh*^t happens' and request his expertise with the proper repair.

Use plenty of honey and no vinegar.

Say you are willing to buy all material incl. new toilet.

It may be worth a shot, but, after 13 years he has NO liability.

He just may, if he is still in the area, help you out.

Giving the benefit of the doubt; he may be unaware of the shoddy work as it did NOT leak for years.

GOOD LUCK

You may be wasting a lot of time and money on the flange, because from your description there may not be anything wrong with it.

quote; Do I have any recourse on the building since the toilet ended up leaking and I have to fix the ceiling too

NO! At the most you had a 2 year warranty and it seems to have not leaked for over 12 years.

Thanks everyone for your help. clap

Thanks everyone for your help.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.