Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water pressure STILL too high
Author: fixitmyself (CA)

Hi there,

I am in Escrow, selling my house and of course I had a back up in my shower. I had a plumber come out and he fixed it. He then told me that my water pressure was too high (110) and that I needed a new regulator which I could replace myself. I'm a fix it myself kinda girl, if I can. He said the house inspection person will catch it too. I told him the house was already inspected and she didn't say anything.

Anyway, off to Lowes I went. I just installed the new regulator and the water pressure STILL is saying 110. Any idea? THanks

Re: Water pressure STILL too high
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Did the instructions that came with the system include how to adjust it?
Best Wishes

It says it came set factory at 50 but I still turned the nut down (all the way) and it didn't even move.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It should have an arrow for direction of flow. Is it installed correctly?

Yes. I put it on the same way as the one I took off and the plumber said the arrows have to point toward the house. And they are. I would attach a picture but I'm not sure how.

Author: m & m (MD)

Is the gauge verified as being accurate?

No. It's not. Is there a way to test it? I just bought it.

Author: vic (CA)

I have to make a BIG apology to North Carolina Plumber (I'm sorry) as I accidentally deleted his post which read:

"Is it possible the high pressure is being caused by thermal expansion, rather than a faulty reducing valve ?"

Edited 1 times.

Author: vic (CA)

Just so I understand clearly ....

1) Did you also test the pressure with your new gauge before you installed the new pressure regulator?

2) After you installed the pressure regulator did you run water and then test the pressure with the gauge or did you have the gauge on and then turned the adjusting screw to see if the pressure would drop or ?

--

To show an image click here for instructions:

[www.plbg.com]

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Are you putting the pressure gauge on an outside faucet? Many times I have seen houses plumbed where the outside silcock is teed off the main supply BEFORE the regulator. Put the pressure gauge on the cold water supply valve for the washing machine and I'll bet you will see 50 PSI.

Author: hj (AZ)

You have to adjust it after you install it, assuming you installed it properly.

How are you testing the pressure. You may be testing at a point which is ahead of the regulator and will not be reduced by any adjustment. And, are you sure you replaced a pressure regulator and not a pressure relief valve.

1) Yes, I tested it before I put on the new one.

2) I tested it right after. Then 1/2 hour later. Then tried adjusting it and still it reads 110. Maybe today it will be lower. I'm at work so I'll have to check when I get home.

Just so I understand clearly ....

1) Did you also test the pressure with your new gauge before you installed the new pressure regulator?

2) After you installed the pressure regulator did you run water and then test the pressure with the gauge or did you have the gauge on and then turned the adjusting screw to see if the pressure would drop or ?

Okay, so I looked it up. I replaced what the plumber told me to replace. It's a Wilkins Water Pressure reducing valve. I am attaching the water pressure gauge down stream from the valve on my outside hose attachment.

How are you testing the pressure. You may be testing at a point which is ahead of the regulator and will not be reduced by any adjustment. And, are you sure you replaced a pressure regulator and not a pressure relief valve.

I will attach a picture of the set up and the gauge when I get home. I appreciate everyone's help on this.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you must adjust regulator UNDER FLOW CONDITIONS

open a faucet and leave it running WHILE you adjust the PRV

some PRVs will 'creep' to inlet pressure under no flow conditions, but, will almost immediately revert to set point upon a flow condition

the only regulator which will not 'creep' would be an industrial two stage type which is very very $$$$$

ps. read the instructions CAREFULLY re: CW / CCW adjustment

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

Quote "I am attaching the water pressure gauge down stream from the valve on my outside hose attachment."

It sure doesn't look that way from the photo. (notice the arrow pointing into the house) The outside hose faucet is on the high or un-regulated side of the regulator as installed. If you have a washing machine connection, put the pressure gauge on the cold water valve. I bet you $$$ it will read 50 psi if you haven't changed the adjustment on the regulator.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Agreed. The sillcock is on the high side of the system pressure. The PRV is probably working fine.

The adjusting bolt
Author: steve (CA)

raises the pressure when it is screwed in. You will need to unscrew the bolt, back out of the housing, to lower the pressure. As previously stated, the gauge was installed on a non-regulated hose bib.

You guys rock

Thank you everyone! My terminology was stated wrong when I said "downstream" I'll blame the blonde in me. I tried the gauge on another hose faucet (since I'm washing clothes right now) on the opposite side of the house and the pressure was 70 (only b/c I had messed with it trying to lower it previously). Then I thought maybe the plumber was wrong and I wasted $90 on a new one so I put the old one back on and it was still 110. So I put the new one back on, adjusted it and it's now at 60. I appreciate everyones help. I'm really happy I didn't waste $90 on a house I'll be living in for only 3 more weeks. :0 YOu guys rock. (and if anyone saw my other post about my leaking tub faucet…I figured that one out too and it no longer leaks).

Edited 1 times.

GOOD ones do NOT "creep". If they did they would be useless.

Re: You guys rock

I hope you realize how frustrating it is to keep saying, "you may be testing at the wrong spot", and you keep stating, "the hose bibb is after the PRV", and therefore we cannot figure out what is wrong. And then we get a picture, tell you that you are incorrect, and then you say, like Rosanna Dana Dana, "Sorry, forget about it".

hj,

she THANKED US !

Thank you everyone! My terminology was stated wrong when I said "downstream" I'll blame the blonde in me

I know, but she would have thanked us a lot sooner if she had really "listened" to what we were trying to tell her.

THANK YOU. I'm very very grateful.

Actually Hj...I did Thank you right after I posted pics and read the comments and changed where I was testing the pressure. I wasn't being ungrateful or not listening to advice. After each comment I replied. And I was at work the last couple comments where two people (you were one of them) actually suggested to test in another spot. Clearly I had to wait until I got home to try it. So again....sorry it wasn't as soon as YOU would have liked.

THANK YOU. I'm very very grateful.

Edited 1 times.

Re: THANK YOU. I'm very very grateful.

quote; sorry it wasn't as soon as YOU would have liked.

I could care less how soon it took. My concern is that YOU would have had your solution earlier, and had less frustration. You are NOT unique, as you can tell if you notice the length of some postings with the back and forth questions and answers. Usually the solution is in one of the first replies but it does not register and we have to hit the person over the head with a 2x4 to get his attention.

Re: THANK YOU. I'm very very grateful.

now now hj

what is obvious to you may NOT be obvious to the 'lay person'

you advised properly

she thanked you / all for the solution

let us all: don't worry, be happy

smiling smiley

ps. go right ahead, have the last word wink

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.