Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 great deal HAHAHA...NOT
Author: sum (FL)

I went to Lowe's to get four copper unions for my two tankless installs. I was fishing for the union's in the box each was about $8. Then I found in the same box a bunch of Nibco cast brass unions, nice solid heavy ones marked down to $1.99 original $12 a piece. Wow this is even better! They have six, I only needed four but I took all six and at the the cashier she pointed the bar code gun it beeped and she said "sir we can't sell these anymore sorry" so it was a clearance before the no lead law kicked in and they sat in the box all this time.

I also wanted a water pressure gauge that you fit onto a hosebib spout. Couldn't find one. Asked the Lowes plumbing expert and he gave me one with a 1/4" male thread, and a 1/4" female by 1/2" female adapter, then a 1/2" brass nipple, then a 1/2" female to female hose adapter. The gauge is $10, the whole contraption altogether was close to $30, I said no thanks.

Edited 2 times.

Re: great deal HAHAHA...NOT
Author: vic (CA)

Sum,

The "no-lead law" ..... don't get me started. smile

Imagine what we suppliers went through .... bringing all the fittings and so on to the scrap metal places throughout the U.S. ..... at best 10 cents on the dollar maybe?

What did our scrap metal places do with it? They shipped most of it to .... China. .... who then melted it down (using coal which pollutes the environment) and then ....

I think I'll stop ..... yes, our "no" lead laws are very strict and much has been replaced with plastics which I expect in another 20-? years will become the new asbestos "can you imagine they used PVC and polywhatever for our drinking water, didn't they know that would cause ____ ?"

Author: hj (AZ)

1. you should have told her you were using them for a heating system where they are legal. Maybe you could have gotten them for a penny apiece.
2. Now WHERE did you find a "plumbing expert" in Home Depot. Was he just walking through the store?
3. This Home Depot "item expert" apparently does not know they sell a gauge already on a hose adapter in two models. One with an highest pressure indicating hand and another with just a gauge for indicating the current pressure.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, as hj said, brass with lead in it is LEGAL for heating systems.

the "expert" works for Lowes and told me he's a master plumber.

Incidentally last time I was there a few weeks ago trying to find something for the washing machine p-trap, and after you all told me it's an "LA PATTERN TRAP" I asked if he has one and he didn't know what the heck I meant.

I think in this case Lowes could not sell it because they basically shut it off in their computer. As soon as it was scanned the message "DUE TO NEW LEAD LEGISLATION DO NOT SELL THIS ITEM blah blah blah..." and they can't sell it regardless of what it's used for.

Ironically I went again yesterday to buy a few copper couplings and I found the unions they couldn't sell to me back in the box of unions, just mixed with the copper unions. Now the next guy will grab it thinking it's a good deal and be turned back at the register, and the cycle repeats. I don't think they know what to do with these leaded brass parts.

Vic,

I hear you.

I guess we are in the "better", "safer" world now with inferior no lead brass fittings, and mercury filled fluorescent bulbs.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Vic,

The tiny quantity of mercury in a CFL is GREATLY GREATLY offset by the saving of TONS of mercury which would have been contained in coal ash at the coal burning electric generator plants ~ to repeat TONS.

The manufacturer's dislike of the 'no lead' rules is due to the machinability issues of boron containing alloys ~ much harder to machine and/or polish. Still way way cheaper than bronze.

Let us not panic!

John Bernabeu, retired

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: asktom (MT)

Since they can't sell the unions you should have asked if they could give them to you.

Author: vic (CA)

bernabeu in part wrote:

"The manufacturer's dislike of the 'no lead' rules is due rules is due to the machinability issues of boron containing alloys ~ much harder to machine and/or polish."

From my perspective and what I've been told by a number of manufacturers they never wanted to change from "low lead" to "no lead." It's our government that forced them to change.

As far as coal burning .... I've traveled a bit in China including having been to both Beijing as well as Shanghai and I can attest that coal burning is harming and killing their people. When I was there it was almost impossible to breath due to coal. I hadn't a clue what was in the coal or what was being extracted however I can tell you that it was unbearable.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Vic,

I failed to communicate.

The mfgs. did not want the no lead because the alternative alloy contained bismuth/boron in its place. This new alloy was more expensive to machine and polish.
The Government 'made them do it'.

The point with the CFLs and coal was:

Since the CFL consumes MUCH less electricity the coal fired plants burned less coal to meet the "reduced" electric load. The Hg in the bulbs was/is GREATLY offset by the reduced quantity of coal ash which contains TONS of very very nast 'stuff'.

We actually agree on and understand this point, so the horse is long dead.

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.