Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Replace Pressure Regulator Valve with "flex" hose
Author: exmar (OH)

Hi Folks,

I have a defective pressure regulator valve on the water supply coming into the house. At the time we built the house the PRV was mandated by the water company. Now, ten years later, our problem isn't high pressure but low pressure. We're on one of the highest hills in their service area and the best pressure we'll see is 30PSI. I simply want to "spool through" this valve with an equivalent 3/4" connector or pipe. There are shut off valves at each end of the valve with "breakable connectors. The PRV is located in the crawl space and is readily accessable. PRV demonstrates the "classic" shots of air when water is run.

The obvious fix would be a piece of pipe, however, don't have access to cutting and threading equipment. Getting a plumber "out in the country" where we live would be a minimum of $300 plus parts.

Why not use a metal flex hose? They're available in 3/4" with choice of connectors. Mentioning putting one of them to the folks at the local hardware store or Lowe's causes instant panic. NO! These are not designed for "primary" connections, but for branch connections. e.g. water heater, washer, etc.

Not planning on using an inexpensive one, am I missing something?

Thanks for your time,

Ev

Re: Replace Pressure Regulator Valve with "flex" hose
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you imply that your main is galvanized steel pipe

you may remove the PRV and replace same with copper tube

I would remove the valve which is/was after the PRV and use appropriate NPT X Cu adapters to make the connection.

DO IT RIGHT ONCE

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: exmar (OH)

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead. THe supply pipe is some kind of underground flexible pipe, the main is about a thousand feet away at the road. I recall the underground pipe was on a big reel on it's own trailer and is about one and a half inch thick with appropriate fitting to connect to the house.

You're saying just to replace the valve with 3/4" copper, in essence extending the existing 3/4" house supply through where the valve used to be. Easy enough to sweat a coupling and threaded connector.

My question was and is, could a flex hose be used in that situation? Don't have to worry about code as we're way out in the country. Just seems to be a good application for flex given the existing valves and threaded unions.

Thanks for the response.

Ev

Author: hj (AZ)

What difference does it make WHERE you use them? They are subjected to exactly the same pressure. Asking a "big box" aisle clerk for recommendations is like asking someone on the street.

you have been answered by qualified professional plumbers

Author: Fixitangel (NC)

If it were me, I would put a new PRV in. Unscrew the old, screw in the new and you're good to go. Don't re-plumb or re-pipe unless you have to. A single stage PRV only takes a few minutes to swap out.
Unless there's something I don't understand, If your main pressure dips to 30 psi, but your PRV is pre-set to 50 psi, there will be no pressure loss or restriction thru the regulator.

Keep in mind your pressure may drop during the day, but may increase at night.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; there will be no pressure loss or restriction thru the regulator.

There is ALWAYS some pressure loss and restriction when water flows through the regulator.

ditto hj

Author: Paul48 (CT)

How are "classic" shots of air being introduced into the system? Wouldn't that imply zero pressure, or negative, such as a venturi?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.