Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 toilet bowl bolts leaking
Author: saurabh75 (IL)

The toilet bowl bolts are rusted and the washer needs replacing....these bolts dont budge....sawing them is an option however the vanity is too close and thus no room....the builders contractor did a shoddy job...didnot install toilet seat on the floor tiles...rather cut the tiles around the seat and grouted to fill the gap..
Now new seat is also difficult to fit in the exact space...undertaking this job would mean replacing all tiles etc. And spending $1000++....wondering if I can put ABS cement premium grade yellow over the bolts on the inside of the toilet bowls and maybe silicone to ensure it does not leak / drip water.....Would this Work..?????

Re: toilet bowl bolts leaking
Author: Joeburgio (RI)

Hi
Sorry about the shoddy work, What you can try to do is use a Toilet Flange repair kit that might help you.

Gino's Plumbing & Heating Inc
Warwick, RI

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

His problem is not with the flange, it is trying to remove the toilet. Once he does that, then he can decide if there is a problem with the flange. Use a "vibrating multi tool" with a carbide blade to remove the grout around the toilet, Then it will come out.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Use a Dremel with a cut-off wheel to cut the nuts off from below. Replace them with brass bolts. Start saving to repair the situation correctly.

First he has to get the toilet out of the floor.

I think they are talking about the tank to bowl bolts, and it may be awkward, but can be done in place.

If he were, there would not be any reason to worry about the bowl being "tiled into the floor".

They are weighing their options because the toilet is close to the vanity. They want to know if silicone over the bolts will stop the leak.

Author: saurabh75 (IL)

Correct ....taking toilet out is not an option .....breaking grout is doable but the problem remains....the new seats are same size as old ...thus would have to re-grout when I put new seat in place.....or change tiles to do job proper...don't want this option.....cutting bolts is an issue with lack of space......so primarily please weigh in .....
"will ABS Cement / Silicone or both applied from the inside on top of the bolts work in stopping leakage as washer is worn out.....remember toilet bowl are filled with water 365 days a year..." ..would this work

Same answer from me. If there's enough room for the tank, there's enough room to cut the bolts with a Dremel. If I couldn't actually see the bolt, I might set up a mirror.Wear eye protection.

Actually WHAT is leaking, because if it is the tank where it is sitting on the bowl, you do NOT have to take the bowl out.

If it is the tank leaking, I use my SawZall and cut between the tank and the bowl.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.