Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 curb stop box
Author: kibdalib (ID)

hello,
some kids put pea gravel in our curb stop box

any ideas how to remove 5' of pea gravel?

thnx

Re: curb stop box
Author: m & m (MD)

Shop vac.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Amen on the shop vac

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

Call the city. It is their stop box and should have had a cover on it.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Do you know the kids ?
Call the police and have someone charged with destruction of public property.

Author: sum (FL)

Wow five FEET deep?

Is it for frost prevention?

Mine is like 6 inches deep.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes, frost protection

NY would be 4'(feet) MINIMUM

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Do you realize how cold it gets in Idaho, especially compared to Florida?

I understand that, but didn't think it had to be 5' deep.

So, how long are their curb keys? 8' long? Mine is only 30" long and I can use it standing up.

How do they read the meter with it buried so deep?

Author: steve (CA)

Meter in the basement?

Author: packy (MA)

my curb key is more than 6 feet long..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It's gravel....I think reform school might be a little excessive.

The meter is NOT in the curb stop box, it is usually in the basement.

First gravel in a curb stop box, then gradually escalating, until it is a bowling ball onto the freeway.

Oh meter in the basement I see.

We have no basement with the water table only a couple feet down so our water meter is actually inside the curb box connected to the stop valve.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

as in coastal SC

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

You do NOT have a "curb stop and valve box", because if the meter were inside it the meter would have to be about 2" in diameter. You have a "meter vault" and probably a meter 'yoke' with integral valve.

I don't know the proper name for it, but this is what I got.

If the meter is in the basement, does the water company go inside the basement to read the meter every month?

That is a meter box, used in warm climates such as ours. In colder areas, when the meter is outside it is in a "vault" that extends below the frost level with the meter positioned near the top of it. Many municipalities now have 'remote reading' meters so they do not have to enter the building.

Author: PlumerDan (CA)

In north Dakota I put curb stops a 11 ft. And still froze sometimes...seen frost down to 13 ft.....how I enjoy my 12 in deep meter box in case...

In Chicago the water lines were 42" deep. When I came out here, one of my first repairs was to a leaking water line. I got my shovel out and prepared to dig. Imagine my surprise when it hit the water line 2" below the surface, and in addition, although it was very hot, a cloud covered the sun while I was working on it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.