Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I've created a new leak
Author: greenchicken7 (VA)

I'm working on my kitchen sink, left side. I had a leak between the sink and basket strainer, which I fixed by removing the basket strainer, cleaning gunk from all the parts, and reinstalling with new plumber's putty. That went well, but in the process, I seem to have cracked the black plastic slip nut that held together the pipe draining the sink, the poly washer, and the end of the basket strainer.
Now I have a leak at this nut. Water drips (at an enthusiastic pace) over the poly washer and through the crack in the slip nut. I tried to replace the slip nut with a split slip nut (comes in 2 pieces that fit together around the pipe), but I have the same leak. I tried, as an experiment, to push the poly washer up against the basket strainer with my hand alone, and could never get a good seal. (Is this normal? It's a new washer.)
How do I get a good seal with this poly washer? Do I have to remove and replace the entire piping piece with a new slip nut already attached? I'm concerned I may take this step and still not get a good seal, or break another nut trying. Am I missing some piece of the puzzle?

Pics are of (1) the general under-sink set up and (2) the basket strainer, poly washer, pipe (no slip nut in these images).
[i.imgur.com]
[i.imgur.com]

Thanks for any advice.

Re: I've created a new leak
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would remove all the black piping . You'll need a new end waste assembly and a dishwasher tailpiece. 15 minutes and $15 worth of parts and you'll be set for many more years. I would also suggest replacing that poly tubing with a braided supply line, looks like it's for an ice maker.

Author: hj (AZ)

Try putting it together without the poly washer. The flange on the plastic tailpiece is jsut as good as a separate washer and eliminates one potential leak point. Check that the slip nut you use screws all the way onto the strainer and is tight. Some strainers need a metal slip nut because they are shorter.

Thanks to all that replied clap

Wanted to say thanks for the advice, hj--I tried both your suggestions, and ended up replacing the full pipe w/attached slip nut after I couldn't stop the leak any other way. I was still able to do the job myself, though, so that was satisfying. Appreciate your time.

Edited 3 times.

Thanks for the suggestions, North Carolina Plumber--I did end up removing all the black piping and replacing it. Things are working well now.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.