Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 hot water shutoff reversed
Author: Jonf (VT)

Shaving tonight at the two-handled Glacier Bay bathroom sink; went to shut it off and the water wouldn't stop flowing. Bottom line: the hot water valve is now reversed. Water is off when hot handle is in the normally open position (6 o'clock), water flowing when handle in the normally closed position (9 o'clock). This happened very suddenly. When I was messing around with the hot and cold valves trying to figure things out, there was a brief discharge of black water. Any insights appreciated!

Re: hot water shutoff reversed
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Most likely the handle has broken and rotated on the stem.

Thanks, NC Plumber. So is this just a matter of replacing the hot water stem/cartridge? Or do I need to drop in a whole new faucet?

Author: packy (MA)

take the handle off and look at the inside where it fits over the end of the faucet stem.
if the grooves are worn enough to allow it to slip around, all you need is a new handle. the handle must be exact as all manufacturers intentionally make handle grooves different.
if the grooves on your handle look fine, then there is a problem with the stem grooves or the stem innards themselves..
at that point you can either replace the stem or the whole faucet.

Author: hj (AZ)

What did you do when you were "messing around" with them. It sounds like you just put something back together backwards, especially since the handle does operate normally just backwards.

All very helpful replies, thanks.

No, haven't taken anything apart yet. "Messing around" just meant turning hot and cold supply valves on and off trying to isolate the problem. At one point a short discharge of blackish water came out of the spigot, then the flow quickly cleared. Unfortunately, I did not note how the supply valves were situated when that occurred.

Author: mr leak (CA)

You now have a valid reason to throw the Glacier Bay in the trash where it belongs

Author: hj (AZ)

What you describe usually only happens when they are taken apart and then reassembled improperly.

Thanks again everyone. thumbs

It's fixed. I ended up replacing the cartridge. I suspect my kids had been slamming the handle shut too much and something inside the cartridge twisted or failed somehow. Of course the hot water shutoff hadn't been worked probably since 1972, so that failed and had to be replaced (thnx PB Blaster). But it's all done now. Thanks again everyone.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.