Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 New plumbing
Author: Needhelp911 (NC)

I just moved into new construction home last month and already have a leak. Water was coming from my ceiling in a bathroom and it was traced to the bathroom's above shower head. The plumber who installed it says that Moen has some problems with the pipes that screw into the wall pipes - something wrong with the threads on the pipes not being smooth so they can leak. Is this true? If so, then I have to look at all the fixtures because they are all Moens. If not then I am a bit worried that there is an install issue and wonder if I should get another plumber in to look at this house. I don't want to find any more leaks. Thanks.

Re: New plumbing
Author: packy (MA)

a quick call to moen will verify the truthfullness of the plumber.
if the shower arms are truly defective, they can be replaced in a matter of minutes with any other brand of your choosing.
in the meanwhile, have your lawyer prepare a claim against moen for the damage caused by moen's defective parts and have the plumber give a deposition under oath as evidence.

Author: hj (AZ)

HE said it was a "new construction", so why would he need a lawyer? It is covered by the builder's warranty. The plumber just did not tighten the pipe properly.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Things happen...he's human. You'll find plenty of things that are not quite up to par if you look closely. Use all the fixtures, even in extra bathrooms. Have the builder make anything right that is not. You could spend a fortune bringing in all the trades to inspect every aspect of construction, but that would be silly.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Granted, the threads on a Moen shower arm are not as deep as on a brass pipe, but I've not had one to leak. Pipe thread tape and a dab of pipe dope works well.

quote; Granted, the threads on a Moen shower arm are not as deep as on a brass pipe,

The have to be to the "standard" or they will not engage, but the metal on most shower arms is much thinner than a brass pipe.

HE said it was a "new construction", so why would he need a lawyer? It is covered by the builder's warranty.......
they are trying to pull a fast one on the homeowner saying the part was defective.
that is a flat-out lie and someone should get nasty about it.

Who cares. All he is concerned about is getting it repaired and that is the responsibility of the general contractor. Then the GC can worry about who pays for the remedy. In any case, ALL product warranties only cover replacing any defective parts and NO "ancillary" damages, or labor.

no, i had my insurance adjuster go after kohler over ancilary damage from a defective widespread lav connector that caused over 4 thousand dollars damage to a new house.
the part was clearly defective and sprayed water for an entire weekend.
kohler, after many weeks, cut a check to the homeowner for the damage.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Not being a plumber, I suppose I'd pressure test everything if I attempted to rough my whole house.

the faucet was installed early in that week and did not start leaking until sometime over the weekend when no one was around.
the damage was limited to the vanity base and the hardwood floor in the adjacent bedroom. luckily it was a basement bath so no ceilings were damaged.
upon reciept of the defective faucet parts, kohler sent new parts and a few weeks later sent a check to the homeowner.
massachusetts law requires that my insurance company represent me in a case where i was not negligent but the work i did caused property damage. just what the insurance company and their lawyers did, i don't know. they don't tell us these things.
bottom line, kohler paid something over 4000 dollars for the damage their defective product caused.

The insurance company may have gotten Kohler to pay, but I doubt if a homeowner would have it they sued Kohler.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.