Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Vinyl dishwasher supply line
Author: wimmerking (CA)

I just recently moved into a new duplex and was told a new dishwasher was installed when the last tenant moved. We thought nothing of it and never checked any of the pipes. Yesterday we were cleaning the kitchen and heard a large leak spring. The supply line from the dishwasher is split off of the hot water line for the sink. The supply line itself is vinyl tubing and a brass compression fitting was used without the insert to keep the line open. They used the brass ferrule (if that's the correct term) rather than the plastic ones I've commonly seen and the installer tightened the fitting so that the ferrule crumpled and therefore failed. My main concern is the supply line. Is vinyl tubing suitable for a hot water line? If the landlord sends out the same installation crew to replace the compression fitting will we just encounter the same problem and possible flood in 2 more weeks or so? Or was it just a botched installation job?

Re: Vinyl dishwasher supply line
Author: packy (MA)

"Or was it just a botched installation job?"
yes it was botched and not installed by a plumber.
braided stainless hose it what should have been used...

Author: bernabeu (SC)

that would actually be:

braided stainless steel mesh JACKETED vinyl tube - acceptable

but

best practice:

flexible 'soft temper' copper tube for a 'hard piped' installation
(which would probably need an actual plumber to install)

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

Not using the insert is probably why you had the problem. "Universal" compression fittings have a metal ring and an insert. But, I would always use a braided stainless steel supply line for a dishwasher. The connection at the other end of the tubing is probably done the same way.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; braided stainless steel mesh JACKETED vinyl tube

I am sure most people would realize that a "braided" cover could not hold water unless it had a liner of some kind. It has been a long time since I have connected one with copper tubing.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

correct, but, to the typical novice / DIYer:

they only hear 'stainless steel' and assume (what they want) quality

they do not realize that the s/s is only a cover to physically protect the inner 'cheapo' vinyl tube

ps. the good quality dish washer 'hose' connection is actually:

hi temperature rubber/neoprene hose with NON CONDUCTIVE braided nylon cover

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hopes2 (WI)

bernabeu,

Tried a search with no luck, where can I purchase your pictured hose?

Thanks,

Dan

Author: chadschloss78 (MI)

I have those hoses for my washer and dishwasher. I bought mine from maytag.

Author: hopes2 (WI)

Author: chadschloss78 (MI)
I have those hoses for my washer and dishwasher. I bought mine from maytag.

Thank You!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.