Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sewer line protection plan
Author: mwr (IN)

Im assuming my sewer line is original to the house. 60 years old. Im new to the house and have no idea of the drain history.

My utility company offers an "outside line-sewer protection" plan. It has to be purchased in conjunction with their "outside line-water protection. The fee is 10.99 a month .

I pasted the fine print below. I called and asked about tree roots infilitration and they said that was not covered and a basic clog was not covered. That might be a red flag for me.

Anyway, I was hoping you could take a look at the fine print and let me know if this is worthwhile or a waste of money?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------2.11 Outside Line — Sewer Outside Line — Sewer Covered Parts/Service The Plan covers repair or replacement of a leaking or broken single underground sewer line from the point of connection with the utility’s main line to the point of entrance into the Customer’s home, or leaking or broken external sewer drains from the point of connection with the Customer’s septic system to the point of entrance into the home. Service is limited to a maximum of $4,000 for parts and labor per rolling 12-month period (including the cost of basic site restoration as described below), plus an additional $4,000 for material and labor per rolling 12-month period for public street cutting and repair, if necessary. After a sewer line is repaired or replaced, the Company will provide basic site restoration service to the affected area limited to public sidewalk repairs (up to $500 for material and labor), filling in holes, raking and seeding. Exclusions and Limitations Exclusions include, but are not limited to: (a) service to any sewer line not connected to a public sewer system or the Customer’s septic system, including leach fields; (b) any sewer lines not owned by the Customer or damage related to the backup of sewers and drains caused by sewer main lines; (c) service to any sewer line connected to a lift station; (d) any branch line and any storm-water line connected to the sewer line or the sewer main line; (e) updating and/or moving non-leaking lines to meet code, law, or ordinances or to satisfy directives of the sewer company/utility, municipality or others; (f) removal of obstacles necessary to access the sewer line; (g) damage to the sewer line that is caused, directly or indirectly, by the Customer, a third party, or a natural disaster; (h) service lines owned by the municipality/utility or connected to a commercial facility, multi-family, mobile home or home situated on a slab; (j) replacing trees or shrubs or repairing private paved and/or concrete surfaces or structures; and (k) grinding pumps.

Re: sewer line protection plan
Author: hj (AZ)

Who determines whether the pipe has to be replaced or repaired. By definition, if roots are in the pipe, it is "broken", and the only thing that determines when it needs to be repaired or replaced is how frequently the root stoppages occur.

That's the grey area I am confused about. I think they consider some root infiltration as normal? That a pipe isn't broken if it leaches thru the hubs.

ANd then what, they come with a camera that I will have to pay for if its not deemed broken?

I keep coming back to it though because of the age of the house.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That contract sounds to me like it's bordering on being a scam.

Author: packy (MA)

I would not buy it..
but, if you are worried, have a camera inspection done.

You probably have a vitrified clay pipe sewer. They seldom "break" unless a large root gets into the hub and snaps it. So it all boils down to who makes the determination about working on it.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Northern Indiana Power Service COmpany (NIPSCO) began offer this service in addition to its water heater service a couple of years ago. May guess is that if it is something you can do, don't buy it. If you are a senior citizen, its worth one's consideration.

Best Wishes

In this area, there are a lot of Orangeburg sewer lines, and a policy like that is a good investment in the cities that offer it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hi (TX)

These warranties are a great way to make money... for those that issue them.. if the sewer is no good they are a good deal.

"So it all boils down to who makes the determination about working on it."

That's the racket I am afraid of. Their contractor makes the determination. So they come out, send a camera down the line and then tell me "Sorry Charlie, this is a normal clog thanks to roots and it will cost this much to have it fixed".... so now I just waited for them to arrive and diagnosis. I can then choose to use them $$$ or tell them to leave... but then I assume I am on the hook for a camera inspection and in the meantime I cant flush the toilet.

TO the other poster, you are correct... it is NIPSCO northern Indiana public service "ESP" repair service... however, its an independent contractor. They used to do all the work and now they hire out.

-------

In suburban chicagoland, I wonder how much it would cost to have PVC trenched about 100' to the street? More than the 4 grand coverage I assume.....

Edited 1 times.

The devil is in the details. Some trenches can be done fairly inexpensively, and others will be very expensive. It depends on the depth and digging conditions.

Do plumbers do piece meal replacement of clay pipe? In other words, would it be typical just to replace sections rather than the whole thing?

If a single section was bad, then yes, we would repair it, assuming it makes economical sense to do so.

Author: wetordry (AZ)

I would advise you to speak with your homeowners insurance rep. If it's not already covered maybe you coud get a rider with better coverage for the same (or less) money!

Homeowner's insurance covers "spontaneous failures", not long term "wear and tear", so no coverage is available for a "bad sewer".

I rehashed this old thread as I am still up in the air if I should continue this sewer coverage. They changed the language a bit. I wanted to add the description here again and see if its something you guys would still buy into (about 15 bucks a month):

2.11 Outside Line — Sewer Outside Line — Sewer Covered Parts/Service The Plan covers clearing of a blockage or clog and repair or replacement of a broken Outside Sewer Line. The Outside Sewer Line must have a clean out access point; no clean out access will be installed by Company. Our obligation is limited to the cost of authorized repairs or replacement for any covered Outside Sewer Line up to a maximum, aggregate limit of $4,000 during each one-year term of this Agreement. If a public sidewalk, public driveway, or public road is to be cut, excavated and repaired, this Agreement provides an additional limit of $4,000 for a public sidewalk, public driveway or public road opening. Only expenses associated with cutting, excavation and otherwise repairing the affected portion of the public sidewalk, public road opening or public driveway are paid under this separate limit. The cost of permits, if any, for the services performed under this Agreement shall be applied to your Agreement coverage limits. An additional $500 per contact year is reimbursable for landscape restoration. This additional limit, if applicable, does not add any additional coverage to the basic $4,000 limit to clear or repair a blockage of your Outside Sewer Line.

Exclusions and Limitations Exclusions include, but are not limited to: common waste branch lines; any damage to the inside of your home, including personal property, due to the backup of your Outside Sewer Line; movement of any working or non-leaking sewer lines, sewer meters or pipes; updating non-blocked Outside Sewer Lines to comply with code, law or ordinance requirements or changes thereto; repairs or service to Outside Sewer Lines due to conditions that are not adversely affecting the flow of sanitary waste, including, but not limited to, bellies or slight separations in pipe joints; removal of debris or obstacles needed to access and clear or repair a blockage of your Outside Sewer Line; service to any Outside Sewer Line not connected to a public sewer system or your septic tank; floor drain; any Outside Sewer Line not owned by you or damage related to the backup of sewers and drains caused by sewer main lines; clogged or blocked lift stations, pumps or any other mechanical devices connected to your Outside Sewer Line; any storm-water line connected to the Outside Sewer Line or the sewer main line; damage to the Outside Sewer Line that is caused, directly or indirectly, by you, a third party, or a natural disaster; service lines owned by the municipality/utility or connected to a commercial facility or multi-family homes; shear offs of the Outside Sewer Line at the foundation; replacing trees or shrubs or repairing private paved, asphalt and/or concrete surfaces or structures; grinding pumps; any system upgrades including but not limited to: municipal code changes, installing clean out, pipe linings, and fixing a belly/sag in line; repairs to walls, ceilings or any surfaces inside your home necessary for Company’s service providers to access and repair your Outside Sewer Line; repairs to any interior pipes.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.